Installing headers on a 72 duster.

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey guys i think im going to put my headers on my 72 duster tomorrow. I was just wondering what all with the steering im going to have to take off or anything? I know the drivers sides going to be a pain but the passenger doesnt look too bad. Anyone have any tips/tricks about them?? Thanks.

Unless you have Doug's or tti headers, you will need to run the center link through the drivers side header. Usually helps if you loosen the motor mount nut and lift the engine with a floor jack on the side you are working on. A heat shield for the starter is a good idea too.

I realize now this is much more of a pain then i planned on.... I was trying and trying to get the pass side in (which i still havent) but now i read that it comes up threw the bottom and not from the top down which i probably should have realized but i was getting to mad to think about it. And not realizing that the front and back studs plugged up water jackets.... But perhaps i can finish this tomorrow or the next day!!

disconnect the battery,unhook the drivers side inner tie rod end and the pitman arm with car raised as high as you can and securely on jackstands, drain all fluid from the engine using the bottom front timing cover bolt on the drivers side,I believe that is the one.then turn the passenger side front wheel to the far left remove old exhaust remove the starter motor and motor mount nut from bottom of k frame and raise the engine about an inch and a half off the k frame. then you will be able to install the drivers side header, just start two bolts to hold it for now.(it is a good/scratch that it is a great idea to install a mini starter at this point) you will hate the original starter and the headers should the starter ever die.... the mini starter can be replaced without taking half of the car apart so now install the starter motor of choice, then lower then engine back down on the k frame and install the motor mount loosely and reinstall the steering arm to the pitman arm and tie rod end,you may need to remove the center link from the idler are but I cant remember right now. at this point you can install the header gasket(hopefully you bought the ultra seals or better). and hopefully you got the good stage 8 locking header bolts. using never sieze compound on all but the front and rear bolts and sealer on those. then you can install the passenger side. with these types of headers you do not need a 90 degree oil filter adaptor and I'm not sure if it will fit or not. don't mess with it if you can avied that.now remove the engine mount nut at the bottom of the kframe and raise that side of the engine about an inch off the k frame and install the passenger side header and tighten.lower the engine down and reattach steering linkages. at this point you need to turn the steering wheels side to side looking carefully for clearance issues. the engine can be shifted from side to side to help correct any issues and you may need to shimthe engine mounts also. keep an eye on the steering coupler to make sure it isn't hitting on the header tube on the drivers side. if it is hitting you may need to shim the drivers side motor mount and move the engine slightly to the passenger side( the shim is to relevel the engine.) if all is well it is time to tighten every motor mount,suspension bolt then recheck them all and install the cotter pins, check starter bolts, and replace the timing cover bolt. now you can install the stater wires to the starter routing them so that they are not going to rub or burn on anything. fill with antifreeze and hook the battery back up. before you start the engine is a good time to double check every nut and bolt,water level and oil level if you had to remove the oil filter. now you off to the exhaust shop. no matter which header bolts or gaskets you bought for the first week or two you need to retorque the header bolts several times a week untill they are seated properly and if you bought the locking header bolts you can now install the Lil locking tabs and clips that retaine them ( the tabs can be trimmed with tin snips ) on the collectors you can use two nuts for each bolt locked together with two wrenches. as much of a pain it is to install the headers if done right you can have years of maintenence free service from them. I have had the headers on my duster for about 4 years now and no trouble, the mini starter is awesome and if it does go bad I dont need to pull the header or steering linkage to change it. with the locking header bolts I dont have to replace header gaskets. you may wish to raise the front of the car a Little for clearance or change driving style around speedbumps. Hope this was helpful......Wagg's
I realize now this is much more of a pain then i planned on.... I was trying and trying to get the pass side in (which i still havent) but now i read that it comes up threw the bottom and not from the top down which i probably should have realized but i was getting to mad to think about it. And not realizing that the front and back studs plugged up water jackets.... But perhaps i can finish this tomorrow or the next day!!

put drivers side on first

Should i be putting the drivers side header on from the top or bottom? Ive been trying to get it in threw the bottom but its not working and i have the motor jacked up pretty high and all the steering off except the box which i loosened to move a little bit.

Spend the money and install a mini-starter! If you don't, you will soon more be changing out the original starter because of heat from the headers. I took mine out by disassembling it piece by piece and just slipping in the mini starter (took hours to do the job).

Spend the money and install a mini-starter! If you don't, you will soon more be changing out the original starter because of heat from the headers. I took mine out by disassembling it piece by piece and just slipping in the mini starter (took hours to do the job).
I had the same OEM heavy duty starter on my car since 1980, although I did add a heat shield, it is easier to install headers with the small starter, you should use a heat shield either way, depending on the age/condition of your current starter it would be advisable to have it checked out or rebuilt/replaced just my .02

last I remember the both come in from the bottom. did you remove the starter? you may have to try from the top but pretty sure it comes in from the bottom

yeah i removed the starter. I think i need to lift the car up more so i can get the header at more of a vertical angle and it should work. Instead of being patient and going to my uncles with a lift i got bored and decided to do it on my garage floor.... Needless to say it wasnt my best idea ever lol but ill get it one way or another.

yea see instructions I posted high as you can and securely on jack stands,i did the best i could to help.........Wagg's
yeah i removed the starter. I think i need to lift the car up more so i can get the header at more of a vertical angle and it should work. Instead of being patient and going to my uncles with a lift i got bored and decided to do it on my garage floor.... Needless to say it wasnt my best idea ever lol but ill get it one way or another.

If the headers run under the steering, go ahead and hammer 'em shut now and get it over with.

ROFLMAO...i put something in my instructions refering to that Lol...you made me spew mt dew all over the monitor :cheers:
If the headers run under the steering, go ahead and hammer 'em shut now and get it over with.

-
Back