installing intake

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a mopar performance gasket kit with my used eddy performer intake. What are the yellow plastic inserts for? and how best to install the block off plates? Thanks.......

If they are the round inserts, about 3/8 dia. I think they
hold the gasket in place. Till you get the bolts in. I never
got the gaskets were you had to put in the block offs in.
But they should just go in the center and bend over the tabs
to keep them in place. Hope it helps.

BINGO! Thats what the yellow thingy's are for. Hold the gasket in place.

It also comes with gray foam end gaskets are they worth it ? My last intake I just used black RTV. Do the yellow "thingys" stay in ? ( I'm assuming they have to if I start the bolts.) are they worth it ?

The yellow things stay in the the gaskets. Being you are a northern state I wouldn't block the heat cross over. Being I also live in a northern state and have blocked them off before it is a nightmare when the weather gets colder. Plus if you have a real good flowing exhaust system and no heat riser not much exhaust will pass thru the intake anyway.

Chuck

To add as well, if you haven't already done so, you may want to grind off the dowel pins at the end of the intake. I found out the hard way what happens. I am now looking for a new intake as the old eddy performer is cracked about 2". Which is kind of ok as I am in need of something a little higher in the rpm range.

To add as well, if you haven't already done so, you may want to grind off the dowel pins at the end of the intake. I found out the hard way what happens. I am now looking for a new intake as the old eddy performer is cracked about 2". Which is kind of ok as I am in need of something a little higher in the rpm range.

Or you can drill holes in the intake which is what I do because I like to use the stock end gaskets.

Chuck

There is enough room to tap the pins down to just hold the end seals. That is what I did when I installed my Performer intake.

Yes, the yellow thingy's stay in there. No problems. Are they worth it? Yep. There just holding the gasket in place while you do what you have to do. Think of them as a third hand helping out that you can forget about.

The grey end seals can be used. But do not trouble yourself to much if they do not fit or stay to well. There a stock item and will only save the use of a ton of RTV.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna install it tomorrow.

Well I installed it today everything went smoothly. This is the first time I have installed an intake without using gaskets on the end rails my only concern is the RTV didn't squish out evenly along the edge some places seemed a lot more than others. The bead looked pretty consistent before setting the manifold though. I'm wondering if the bead was off center and some went inside and some came out. Can or should the rest of the gap be filled or just leave it alone?

Has anyone ever cut away the excess gasket sticking out from the center section of the manifold? Mine goes up almost to the valve cover.

Yes, You can cut what ever extra gasket is sticking out. As for a consitant bead. the front right side of the intake has about a inch more mounting surface than the left side. So simply may not see any on the right side.

As long as the bead was good when you laid it down.

I too had a problem witht the dowl pins the first time, didn't crack the intake or anything but didn't allow the intake to seal like it should in the rear. Got a good oil leak soon after. Second time around as mentioned above I just drilled the pin whole on the intake out a little more.

I personally never use the end gaskets, always the RTV.

just put a new intake on a few weeks ago, didnt get the back rtv'd enough, oil leak like 15 minutes later, had to do everything all over again. i put the end gaskets on, just to be sure along with the rtv. dave

-
Back