Installing new Autometer gauges

-

hemibadfish

Reaction score
I am putting in a new Autometer speedo, fuel gauge and tach. I have put the gauges in cluster where the original gauges were. I am having difficulty u figuring out the wiring.
I have the instrument panel out and have plugged in the headlight switch and 4 way flasher switch. When I try the headlight switch, no lights. Does the switch have to be in the panel and the whole panel hooked up to work??

I want to hook up the gauge lights to the original panel light power so they operate with the headlight switch and panel dimmer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BE CAREFUL You likely forgot the ammeter wires which is the large black and large red witih eyelet terminals that connect to the cluster. You must bolt them together at minimum. THIS IS NOT FUSED other than the fuse link so BE CAREFUL

AND WHAT is it that you are working on? 1942 Supermarine Spitfire? 1928 hemi swapped Farmall "Regular?"

(Also post if applicable, whether you have a Ralleye or "standard" cluster)

You can download factory service manuals, and aftermarket wiring diagrams from MyMopar

On a totally OT, that Spit was flown by the late, great, Ray Hanna

Last edited:
BE CAREFUL You likely forgot the ammeter wires which is the large black and large red witih eyelet terminals that connect to the cluster. You must bolt them together at minimum. THIS IS NOT FUSED other than the fuse link so BE CAREFUL

AND WHAT is it that you are working on? 1942 Supermarine Spitfire? 1928 hemi swapped Farmall "Regular?"

(Also post if applicable, whether you have a Ralleye or "standard" cluster)

You can download factory service manuals, and aftermarket wiring diagrams from MyMopar

On a totally OT, that Spit was flown by the late, great, Ray Hanna

I have a full set of autometers in my 63. speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, temp, voltmeter I am not sure the wiring differences from 63 to 68. Get yourself a wiring diagram if you don't have one already.

Anyway, in my case, there is a tan 18g wire from the light switch to the fuse box under the dash. From there it is fused and goes to orange 18g which feeds the lights for the stock instrument cluster. I intercepted the tan wire before the fuse and fed all my gauges from there (with fuses). My stock instrument cluster is now gone, but I started first with the oil, temp and volt gauges (with the main cluster still in place) otherwise I would have probably picked up the wire right at the cluster.

The only thing stock in the cluster now is the ignition switch and headlight and wiper switches. All my gauge lights go on and dim with the main switch.

, in my case, there is a tan 18g wire from the light switch to the fuse box under the dash. From there it is fused and goes to orange 18g which feeds the lights for the stock instrument cluster. I intercepted the tan wire before the fuse and fed all my gauges from there (with fuses). .

Not sure why you did that. Why not just tap into the orange group out of the fuse panel and feed the gauges from that.

my car is a 68 Barracuda with rallye dash

Go to MyMopar and download yourself a service manual

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1968_Plymouth_Service_Manual.zip

Also there are aftermarket diagrams which are sometimes easier to follow but may not be as detailed

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68BarracudaA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BarracudaB.jpg

In the factory shop manual, the instrument panel wiring is 8-112, page 339 in the manual

bcuda.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a colored shot of the cluster connector. I would give credit to this if I knew who created it

BarracudaDashWiringcs.jpg

Not sure why you did that. Why not just tap into the orange group out of the fuse panel and feed the gauges from that.

Either/or. I think at the time with the 63 fuse box tucked under the dash the incoming wire was easier to access so I used it and fused the new gauges. I was still running the original cluster at the time. Now running quite a few more lights off it than original cluster.

-
Back