installing sidepipes, shortys or full length headers?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
going to put sidepipes on 72 340 duster, already have hooker full lengths on car(engine is out),would it be better to use shorty headers so i wouldnt have such a sharp bend in exhaust and wouldnt have to worry about center link bs.car has power steering, which brand would be the best to use?

Sidepipes? Checkout the corvette forums............

Jake

Don't worry about the bends. Unless you're running a points race car, you'll never know the difference.

here is a pic of my dart sport with side pipes.....I was using stock manifolds and the custom exhaust shop ran the pipes....actually they ran them straight back until about the rear seat then back up to the rear of the front fender and into the pipes......they ran like an "S" he said that is better for flex....instead of going right into the side pipe from the exhaust manifold

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

I'm on your side friend; I like 'em on second gen Barracudas.
If you have less than about 40degrees of overlap on your cam, then long-tube headers are more or less optional.If you have more than about 60* overlap, then you gotta have longtubes to wake up the power. So that means IMO between 40 and 60 degrees you have to make a judgement call, based on how the car is going to be used.
But.... A right angle off the end of a long-tube will kill the scavenging anyway so then it all goes out the window. You might as well put a teener cam in at that point..... well that might be a lil extreme.
So if your 340 is running the stock 114 LSa cam with 44* duration, just run whatever you got.
Here's an idea I once had for my 367. She runs a 61* overlap cam and so I run TTI's. I have run as much a 76* with a different cam. The overlap period of that cam was an unreal power booster.
So the idea I had was to run a big plenum off the end of the collector straight back to where the mufflers usually sit, and turn them 180*s there with 3" mandrel tubes, then come into the side pipes from the rear, and dump at the front. Bad idea that was, cuz now the exhaust wants to come into the cab.
So then I had another idea, to run about a ft or ft and a half of collector extension and put some cutouts on he ends there,then Tee or Y into that extension anywhere and run just enough diameter pipe off the extension to run up to 3000/3500 rpm into the sidepipes. Then the cutouts I wanted to run were out of Australiia, and were automatic and instant-open/instant-closed; Yeah baby,I though; this will work. But a short time later when I checked back, that link no longer worked, and I never saw them again.
That is still my idea to do someday......... but I guess I'd have to build my own dumps.
But I gottawarn you, the sidepipes I handled were HEAVY, and IIRC were
small ID.. You'd probably need a 360 just to pull the extra load, and plow exhaust thru 'em,lol

going to put sidepipes on 72 340 duster, already have hooker full lengths on car(engine is out),would it be better to use shorty headers so i wouldnt have such a sharp bend in exhaust and wouldnt have to worry about center link bs.car has power steering, which brand would be the best to use?

I'd try and keep your existing headers and do what bbrroowwnn did. Also, take your side pipes and consult a reputable exhaust shop as to what they can do. Good luck.

shes a mopar girl, she'd know. ive already got the pre bent install kit from patriot, almost kicking my *** for selling original manifolds

Since you have the longtube headers just keep them,no point in overthinking that part:)

I tend to do the overthink a little.i think i like to buy stuff i dont really need but just have to have it.thanks

love em

if your running SBP i got some 14x10 slotted mags that would be perfect for the look your going for

I think shorty headers would result in a lot cleaner install. You'd probably need only one 90° elbow, instead of a 180° and a 90°.

I tend to do the overthink a little.i think i like to buy stuff i dont really need but just have to have it.thanks

You are not alone,i believe the carhobby is full of us overthinking/overeenginering bastards :D

-
Back