Installing the Summit 2.5in A body exhaust

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
I used the Summit 2.5in A body system. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-680144/ and the H pipe http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-642025/
Hooker Headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-5901HKR/
The kit isn't designed for a 4spd car or an H pipe, so I had to install it a little lower then designed but I think it should be alright.
I had to adjust for the 4spd linkage (shorten the drivers side pipe by a few IN) so it isn't routed as intended (normally ends up a lot closer to the drive shaft so that it is tucked up better) and with the H pipe (again not intended for one as there isn't really a straight spot that could take it unless you do it farther back, which isn't recommended in the directions and use the optional provided v bend...) it was a bit of a pita. I had to take out a few IN on either side through out the whole kit as well because all the piping was a little long, no big deal a sawzall cuts the pipe nicely.

I would however say if you have an auto car and no H pipe it should fit nicely. (just needs to be shortened a bit)

Actually my friend has it on his auto duster and it does fit as intended, higher up against the body.

Tools needed-
1/2 ratcheting wrench
9/16 ratcheting wrench
9/16 socket
Sawzall
Welder
Lift of some sort (I used drive on ramps all the way around and laid on my back)
Level
Marking Pen
A lot of Time and Patience
Vice for holding things while I cut
Thats about it

Feel free to ask questions

smaller1.jpg

smaller2.jpg

smaller3.jpg

smaller4.jpg

smaller5.jpg

smaller6.jpg

smaller7.jpg

smaller8.jpg

I also just ordered the summit 2.5 " header back kit a little over a week ago....I have summit long tube headers and it all mounted up pretty good.

only problem is, I have my springs located inward 3" on my 72 duster and I need to figure out how I am going to get my exhaust over my axle ....so I may have to have something custom bent up....not sure because I want to see pictures how everyone else has ran this kit over the axle.....any better pictures of that?

right now I have my exhaust ran from the heads to the mufflers and that it until I figure the rest out lol.

Your exhuast came out looking good though!

I don't have an H-pipe on mine....but everything else is about the same and to be honest I am not going to keep these mufflers....they sound good at an idle but as soon as you give it some gas it cleans out to much and isnt the sound I am looking for, I will probably go with a set of flowmaster super 40's or a set of hooker super comps to replace the cheapy mufflers that came in the kit.

I also just ordered the summit 2.5 " header back kit a little over a week ago....I have summit long tube headers and it all mounted up pretty good.

only problem is, I have my springs located inward 3" on my 72 duster and I need to figure out how I am going to get my exhaust over my axle ....so I may have to have something custom bent up....not sure because I want to see pictures how everyone else has ran this kit over the axle.....any better pictures of that?

right now I have my exhaust ran from the heads to the mufflers and that it until I figure the rest out lol.

Your exhuast came out looking good though!

I don't have an H-pipe on mine....but everything else is about the same and to be honest I am not going to keep these mufflers....they sound good at an idle but as soon as you give it some gas it cleans out to much and isnt the sound I am looking for, I will probably go with a set of flowmaster super 40's or a set of hooker super comps to replace the cheapy mufflers that came in the kit.

Sure I can get some better pics for yha, I think since my engine is so close to stock I am just going to leave the turbo muffs on, I also like a quiet car though too since it will be serving as a daily driver and I have 40 series on the newport and there are times I wish it wasn't so loud.
They clear everything and don't rub so I am happy.

smaller9.jpg

smaller10.jpg

smaller11.jpg

smaller12.jpg

smaller13.jpg

smaller14.jpg

Did you have to shorten the tail pipes where they went in to the rear of the mufflers?
I had to take off 1.5" on my 3" system or the pipe would have hit the rear or the mufflers wouldn't have sat into the floor

Did you have to shorten the tail pipes where they went in to the rear of the mufflers?
I had to take off 1.5" on my 3" system or the pipe would have hit the rear or the mufflers wouldn't have sat into the floor
Yes I ended up shortening it there as well as up front and of course at the very end where my 340 tips are.

THANKS FOR THE PICS!!!! I appreciate it.

now I have to get creative with my inward spring and see what I can come up with lol

I just take whatever project I may be working on up to a exhaust guy I know, hand him a piece of wood 1" thick and tell him to do his thing. If it hits the body and/or rattles because he built the system too close to the car (thus the wood) he catches hell. ---- After the first car--No complaints and still reasonably priced.

Geez, I wish someone would make manifold headpipes for that system, at a reasonable price. I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Oh...was just interested in how it sounded, as all cars sound a little different. Sorry for asking.
No worries, I guess I am just at the point of wishing it was done:spiderma:
Yha Ill see what I can do about a vid, not sure how but Im sure I can figure it out.

No worries, I guess I am just at the point of wishing it was done:spiderma:
Yha Ill see what I can do about a vid, not sure how but Im sure I can figure it out.

Okay, no problem! Take your time. I understand the feeling of wishing it was done. lol

I did the Jegs version , probably the same thig, on my Duster with a 904. He did a nice job making adjustments for the 4spd.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UJFnp4P8tQ"]YouTube- 1971 Dart Swinger new exhaust[/ame]

here yha go!:cheers:

Sounds sweet ross! I know alot of guys that will drill a hole in the exhaust tips or right before the exhuast tips so water wont puddle up and rust over time.

That swinger she has came a long way!

The system looks pretty universal. Anybody try to fit one of these to an early A?
I did. Total cut and paste deal. My system uses Spit Fire Headers so right off the jump you know the head pipes were not going to fit. I started with hanging the mufflers in place, with support from a couple of jack stands, and building forward from there. Once that part was completed I worked from the mufflers back. The left side was not too bad but the right side was....ummm...interesting. Fitting 2 1/2" exhaust pipe and tail pipes where no pipe was ever intended to go was fun.....sort of. I ran the tail pipes out to the bumper but considered taking them over to just behind the tires and dropping the exhaust there but felt that would be a tad to "chevy-ish". I used generic parts house 2 1/2" turn downs and that gave the system a look pretty close to what a stock system might have been. As I recall it the original system on a 273 HI-PO early A car was a 2 into 1 deal with the muffler/tail pipe on the left side. No pictures yet but it looks like I need to unlimber the camera now that the heat and humidity is breaking up.
Would I do this system again? Probably not. Nothing against Summit/Jegs/Heartthrob/Pypes/whom-ever but I felt that I would have been better off with 3 sticks of 2 1/2" and 4 J-bends. You would have your choice of what muffler to use instead of that generic turbo that is supplied. I will probably use their 3" system on my '73 RR since it comes without mufflers and that car will have a bunch more engine than my '65 Valiant.
Bob

Hey Ross, thanks for posting the video! Sounds great! Nice Chally in the background too!!!

When I was shopping Jegs, they sold the 2.5" without mufflers (for only $20.00 less). I thought Summit did also, but I could be wrong. This was two weeks ago. The Pypes system is also sold without, and they offer three choices of mufflers in addition. It's what I went with, and is real pretty, but my neighbors heard a LOT of swearing that day. I still don't know what the deal with the mismatched tailpipes on the Pypes system is. Don't choose Pypes unless you like a challenge.

I have the summit headers & turbos also, thanks for that video clip, it sounds good.

-
Back