Installing TTI Headers on 360 (motor out)

-

1975Scamp

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I'm swapping a 318 out for a 360 on my 75 Valiant. The engine bay is completely empty for a re-paint, except power steering pump and steering shaft. Transmission is still mounted in car, supported by a chain. My question is: Can I mount headers on 360 before I drop in the motor or would they be in the way for bolting up to the tranny? I have read horror stories on headers, just looking for some advise! Looking for the best route to install when time.

I would have to say no. It would limit you on wiggle room and the headers would probably hit the power steering box. If you were installing from below then it would work.

you can lay them in the engine bay and as you slowly drop engine in....you move the headers into place..

no way haha have to lay down the headers and lower the motor into them.

does your steering link go through the headers?

you can lay them in the engine bay and as you slowly drop engine in....you move the headers into place..

Agree. I tied my TTI's up so they hung in the engine bay, and I wrapped the headers with the original bubble wrap they were shipped in to keep from scratching the new engine bay paint. I have a 4-speed so I had the bell housing bolted up when I lowered the engine into the engine bay. I did not put the starter on until the engine was was in and the headers were loosely bolted to the engine. I did the entire job by myself with an engine hoist and took my time.

no way haha have to lay down the headers and lower the motor into them.

does your steering link go through the headers?

tti does not have tubes going through the headers...that is why people spend big dollars for them...

Thanks Guys! Appreciate the input! I've heard stories about A-bodies and headers! So, I guess expect a lot of time to install. Thanks Demon 408 for the tip with the bubble wrap!

You can wrap some wire around the headers, and hang them from the shock mount while you remove/lower the engine.

-
Back