installing water temp gauge

-

kustom2k1

Reaction score
I have a 340 with a stock manifold, where do I install the probe :shock: for the mechanical water temp?

Never had a 340 but always screwed them in where the electric one was on other s/b,s

Never had a 340 but always screwed them in where the electric one was on other s/b,s

I'm not sure how you did that, all the mechanical gauges I've ever seen were far bigger than the 1/8 pipe thread of the stock sender.

You MIGHT be able to drill tap the manifold out to 3/8 pipe and get an adapter (if not suppled) for the temp gauge. These are a special fitting.

Otherwise, one way, if not ugly, is to remove the heater hose fitting, put a pipe nipple / tee in there and screw the temp gauge in one leg and the heater hose fitting in the other.

See if your rad has a fitting, some do. Trouble with this, is if the rad leaks down, the temp gauge may not warn you it's getting hot.

There also was a VERY ugly deal that you could tap the upper hose with. I've seen two versions, one was a metal sleeve, you cut and put in the hose, and the sleeve had a fitting in the side.

Old school was a little pair of curved brackets/ washers and you simply cut a hole!! in the hose, clamp the fitting in there with the two washers, one of which is threaded for the fitting.

I've got some Edelbrock manifolds, and it ticks me off that "Vick" could not be bothered to provide us with a nice 1/2" pipe fitting fer crimeny sakes.

I'm not sure how you did that, all the mechanical gauges I've ever seen were far bigger than the 1/8 pipe thread of the stock sender.

You MIGHT be able to drill tap the manifold out to 3/8 pipe and get an adapter (if not suppled) for the temp gauge. These are a special fitting.

Otherwise, one way, if not ugly, is to remove the heater hose fitting, put a pipe nipple / tee in there and screw the temp gauge in one leg and the heater hose fitting in the other.

See if your rad has a fitting, some do. Trouble with this, is if the rad leaks down, the temp gauge may not warn you it's getting hot.

There also was a VERY ugly deal that you could tap the upper hose with. I've seen two versions, one was a metal sleeve, you cut and put in the hose, and the sleeve had a fitting in the side.

Old school was a little pair of curved brackets/ washers and you simply cut a hole!! in the hose, clamp the fitting in there with the two washers, one of which is threaded for the fitting.

I've got some Edelbrock manifolds, and it ticks me off that "Vick" could not be bothered to provide us with a nice 1/2" pipe fitting fer crimeny sakes.

youre right. I just went and looked at two of my s/b,s and both have aftermarket intakes. Since I had my strokes I dont seem to remember so well. Guess I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.

So much for installing a water temp gauge. Really dont want to fiddle with the intake. Im going to have weigh the other options presented by 67dart.

DD, you tried thanks anyway ;-)

Thanks guys!

Are you dead fixed on a mechanical gauge because of cost or preference?
The reason I ask is nowdays many electrical are more accurate than the mechanicals,
and the senders drop right in the stock location.

(yes, they are. Designed gauges for autometer for 13 years)

Are you dead fixed on a mechanical gauge because of cost or preference?
The reason I ask is nowdays many electrical are more accurate than the mechanicals,
and the senders drop right in the stock location.

(yes, they are. Designed gauges for autometer for 13 years)

I had bought a set (3 gauges from Autometer:thumblef:) and all are mechanical. Im just going to have to replace the mechanical temp gauge with an electrical unit. Too hasty I guess, just wanted to install them this evening. I'll find something else to do....:drinkers:

I had bought a set (3 gauges from Autometer:thumblef:) and all are mechanical. Im just going to have to replace the mechanical temp gauge with an electrical unit. Too hasty I guess, just wanted to install them this evening. I'll find something else to do....:drinkers:
i bought an Autometer mech gage and went back and got the electric rather than retrofit the probe to compensate for the intake depth. More money but easy install , Accuracy not an issue. Thease gauges have come a long way.

i bought an Autometer mech gage and went back and got the electric rather than retrofit the probe to compensate for the intake depth. More money but easy install , Accuracy not an issue. Thease gauges have come a long way.

Idrift designed those gauges, your damn straight they're accurate!! Forgot to say thank you drift!:thumblef: for the comment. Thank you.

Your right 65V, my lifes already too complicated. 3 wives, 12 kids, 6 M/F inlaws, 14 brother/sister inlaws, school, soccer, baseball, football, skeet shooting, fishing, Dr visits, taxes, somebody shoot me..please!!! :happy6:

-
Back