Instrument Bezel repairs

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
Working on my guage cluster, as the plastic bezel is pretty sketchy. Most of the screw holes and other anchor points are broken off, it's a wonder the gauges weren't just flopping around in the dash.

Anyway, ready to fix these problems, close a few cracks and generally bring it all back to life.

Anybody know what a suitable glue would be to use here on this plastic? I tried a little test blob with epoxy and another with airplane (model) glue. Neither stuck at all. Don't want to go the woodburner or hot screwdriver route, looks like someone already tried that before me.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 100_5500.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_5502.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 100_5514.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 218
I have had good luck with a marine two part epoxy that comes in a stick and you cut a piece off and blend it. If needed I will get the name for you if it still is on it.

that bezel is pretty common. I would just replace it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will hunt down some of that marine epoxy and I also notice Mr G's has a re chromed bezel in their catalogue. Nothing money can't cure.

Cheers

I have had incredible luck with the incredibly smelly two part 60 second plastic epoxy that NAPA sells. You can glue with it, build up a layer for strength, or even mold a shape to it if you are quick enough.

I have had great results using pvc clear pipe cleaner and cement, works great on ridged plastics and on fiberglass parts for spider crack repairs. Is sandable and fills cracks, let dry completely before sanding.

Lon;

I did pick up some of that plastic epoxy. Yeah, it does raise quite a stink, but that's the smell of progress. It sticks like crazy and all of my repairs are super solid. And yes, I even built it up in places and filed it back down to shape.

Great tip, Thanks.

-
Back