Instrument Cluster Bezel 69 Dart?

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Today I am reassembling my instrument cluster to my repo bezel and I saw something on my original bezel that I had not seen before. Im not the original owner of this car, so I'm not sure if it was added or came oem. The inside of the cluster bezel has what appears to be white paint brushed on the back side of the bezel in each location of the gauges. It kinda sorta looks like it may help to lighten up the gauges when the lights are on. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 203
I'm guessing it was rechromed at some point.

I'm guessing it was rechromed at some point.

That is possible and could be, but I scraped off some color and the white is brush painted over shiny chrome. Do you think it could be something they did on the line to help with gauge brightness?

That is possible and could be, but I scraped off some color and the white is brush painted over shiny chrome. Do you think it could be something they did on the line to help with gauge brightness?

No. The factory didn't chrome the inside of illuminated cavities. In fact they put small areas of flat black on the raw white plastic to further control the lighting.
It's the replate shops that chrome them inside and out and leave lighting issues to be discovered and resolved.
My guess is the chrome there caused glares and reflections making the gauges harder to see. Thus the white paint.

I am trying to remove my instrument bezel from my 68. did you get it out the front or did it have to come out the back. i'm thinking the complete dash as to come out first.

I am trying to remove my instrument bezel from my 68. did you get it out the front or did it have to come out the back. i'm thinking the complete dash as to come out first.

Factory service manuals for these cars are free downloads.

The whole dash cluster comes out the front of the dash, after unplugging the speedometer, and the gauge connection.

It will come out from the front, and will be much easier if you drop the steering column down. My car is a frame off, so all was disassembled including removing the dash frame. I'm just now re-assembling the dash out of the car, then I'll put the assembled dash frame back in.

-
Back