Instrument cluster issues...65 Dart

-

MoparN8

Reaction score
Looking for some help...

I took out my cluster and replaced it with another cluster off a parts car because the speedo needle was broken. But instead of just the speedo gauge I just screwed in the whole replacement cluster housing with all the gauges and replaced the light bulbs.

Hooked up all the wires, reconnected the speedo cable and put it back in.

Now nothing works. Speedo needle doesn't work, temp gauge doesn't work. gas gauge doesn't work but it didn't work on the previous cluster either and im pretty sure it's the sending unit and im planning on replacing that. Not sure why the temp gauge and the light bulbs don't work now.

Regarding the speedo, could it just be the speedo cable is bad? I bought the car with the speedo needle broken so not sure about the cable. It looks fine but how do you know it's broken? Why doesn't the temp gauge work and the light bulbs? The left blinker light bulb goes on but none of the others and I used brand new bulbs.

This is my first time doing this. Thanks

Hi ! My first place would be the connector to the cluster on the backside. Sometimes it just don't get contact. See that the connector will go all the way against the board. The speedo cable can be checked by trying to ´twist the inner wire in the cable. If it turns the wire is broken and needs to be replaced. Good luck!

Thanks Ulf. Good tip on the speedo. I think it is broken now that i remember. The inner rod was twisting some.

I was thinking that too about the connector. It was a little tricky getting off/on and maybe it wasn't on all the way when I put it back in. It just came to my mind that a fuse could have blown too maybe. I'll check it out.

Any parts places carry a speedo cable for a 65 dart?

Re the connector, take a screwdriver and try to hit each prong to get them close to the board. Put an ad on the wanted section. The best way to catch parts for these cars.

-
Back