Instrument cluster voltage regulator

-

Kikowillers

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 1970 Dart with a factory rallye dash (that's how they came inBrazil). Do you guys know what type of instrument voltage regulator I need? And where to buy it?

Cheers!

I don't know but if you google "Mopar instrument cluster voltage regulator upgrade build" You will find that you can build your own regulator that will work much better that the old mechanical ones. Old style ones are available too from several auto parts chains. Might take a while though to get to Australia.

If it's the plug in type, like used on B body cars, you can buy an electronic one. The guages will work much better. Look on Ebag

I'm sure I haven't seen everything but as far as I know... Your instrument voltage limiter is inside the fuel gauge. If I'm correct, What you show in the pic is some other component. Horn relay maybe ?
How to find our...
Stick a test light to that big red wire. I'll bet its hot 12 volts at all times. The instrument panel gets 12 volts at switch on which includes the limiter.

Thanks for the answers guys. That's interesting. I thought for sure that was the limiter, but I'm by no means good with electrics so your guess is way better than mine. I'll test the red wire this weekend.

Do you have any pics of the regulator in the fuel gauge? I had the dash apart a few months ago but it didn't catch my eye.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answers guys. That's interesting. I thought for sure that was the limiter, but I'm by no means good with electrics so your guess is way better than mine. I'll test the red wire this weekend.

Do you have any pics of the regulator in the fuel gauge? I had the dash apart a few months ago but it didn't catch my eye.

Thanks!

Well friend it could only catch your eye if you knew exactly what to look for.
Typical gauges have 2 contacts that typically serve as mounting studs too.
Those are voltage in and sender out. A gauge with 3 contacts surely has something else inside. This is the case with many Chrysler gauges.
Early Imperials and others had the limiter housed inside their temp gauge.
The A-body rally panel and others had the limiter housed inside their fuel gauge. All these have 3 contact posts..
I've serviced 209 of these 3 post gauges during 6 years so I do have lots of pics and all sorts of helpful info ( much more than I can provide here ).
I'll add this... Please don't fall for the "bend a little thingy" do it yourself crap found on the net. It doesn't work.

I just bought another one on ebay a few days ago, ~$25, this one for my 64 Valiant. Search "Plymouth" AND "voltage limiter" or such. Several companies sell them. One guy I think is a member here. For Rallye dashes (tach), it was still inside the fuel gage until ~1973. I would expect world-wide. Many posts on here if you search. One seller has excellent photos showing how you open up the fuel gage to disable the factory Vreg. I just slipped heat shrink over the thermal arm. The new electronic Vreg's work much better.

-
Back