Instrument panel help??

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
Recently I've gotten my 73 Plymouth duster ready and noticed one day while working on it I don't have any instrument lights! Only the "fasten your seat belt" light and buzzer come on. On top of that the only gauge that works to is the speedometer. All the fuses have been replaced in my fuse box. Could there be a short around the firewall area? And could the bulbs to bad as well???

Is the panel still attached to the dash with screws / It needs a chassis ground.
If you're outdoors in sunlight the dash lights may be infact working. If you know for sure they aren't working the problem could be the dimmer reostat in the headlight switch or the bulbs. Sylvania 2825 is a good replacement for those.
The gauges operate on 5 volts supplied by a mechanical voltage limiter on the back of the panel. There is no fuse in the 5 volt circuit or in the 12 volt supply to the limiter.
That 12 volts comes directly from the ignition switch. The hand brake lamp is on the same 12 volt source. If it works the limiter is getting 12 volts too. Doesn't mean it sending the pulse voltage out though. Pilse voltage would show as 2.x 3.x 2.x on a digital volt meter to average 5.x volts. Hope this helps

Yup, I usually just pull the whole cluster out (1/2 hour job) and work on it on the bench. With an extra 12V battery, jumper wires, a good ohm/volt meter and you'll have everything sorted out in no time. Beats standing on your head under the dash! Just be sure you disconnect the battery before starting on it.

Yup, I usually just pull the whole cluster out (1/2 hour job) and work on it on the bench. With an extra 12V battery, jumper wires, a good ohm/volt meter and you'll have everything sorted out in no time. Beats standing on your head under the dash! Just be sure you disconnect the battery before starting on it.
Nothing like being twisted like an upside pretzel & then getting a cramp...

I have similar problems with my '70 Duster 340. Pulled the dash to find why my oil press. and temp gauges were on and off, also had right turn signal ind. light out. (although fender ind. worked fine) Checked all bulbs, all working, cleaned all contact surfaces on PC board, and put it all back together. NOW, I have only very dim dash lights and very dim turn signal lights(checked at night), no movement on ammeter with engine running and an oil pressure gauge that gos to about 20# and stops. I ran a new wire from PC board to a good ground, no change. Temp. and fuel gauge seem to be OK. Does anyone have any idea what all these problems would have in common? Thanks and I will get back if I (you) can solve it. Oh, the radio also quit!

Thanks a ton you guys!!! I'll do what y'all say and get back to you on my outcome! Thanks again!!!

-
Back