Intake and carb choice

-
Put a 1" HVH Super sucker on that RPM intake. Trust me, it will like it. You won't be disappointed with the RPM intake.

Dunno how accurate the dyno in this write up is, but check the link out crackedback posted toward the bottom...just some food for thought when pondering an intake. Their comments on the RPM were praiseworthy, even if the engine on the dyno is...healthier...than yours.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=316951

I don't think I've worked on an engine yet where an RPM was used and didn't perform well...

Single plane - Victor
Dual Plane - RPM

Run a 950ish HP style carb and go if you are going to swap.

I decided to stay with tunnel ram. But drop to a smaller carb. I'm at a toss up between 2 390 holleys or 2 450 holleys suggestions?

I decided to stay with tunnel ram. But drop to a smaller carb. I'm at a toss up between 2 390 holleys or 2 450 holleys suggestions?

If it were me I'd run the 2 390's if I had a SB or the 2 450's if I had a big block. Just my 2 cents.

Glad to hear your not giving up on the tunnel ram.
I bought a rpm not long after they first came out new due to all the great
magazine reveiws. I was very disappointed myself and sold it.
It is hard to go to a dual plane manifold after running a single plane
or a tunnel ram and be happy with the results.
If your Holley's are not tunnel ram specific like the 660 center squirters...
For example 1850 600s each carb is designed with idle restrictions sized for
using carb as a single. So you have twice the needed fuel at idle pairing them up
on a tunnel ram. You can tune these restrictions down to what your engine needs with a piece of wire to slow down the amount of fuel that can pass thru the restriction. You may have to experiment a bit to find out what size wire is needed to make your engine happy at idle.

I ran 2 more or less stock 750 edelbrocks on my old 440.all I did was set the idle and change the metering rod springs .my old 440 was set up like yours.for what I had in the engine I thought it ran pretty good. I ran a bunch of 11.70 in the 1/4 with it in my 3600 pound 65 Plymouth B-Body.wish I still had my old set I would of let you try them out.but if you wanted to stay with the holley I would get the 450 ones.

It is hard to go to a dual plane manifold after running a single plane.

I hope I find this to be true. I just paid a ton of money for a deep ported Victor to top my new ported heads vs. using an RPm.

I just read the wire trick last night. I already sold my carbs. Wish I had read that before. Because at idle was my problem it was very rich. Thoughts on side hung vs in line carbs? They were in line but I've liked the looks of side hung

For side hung bowls & street use I have used the 3310s with great results.
I added the secondary metering block kits from holley for easier tuning and
a balanced look on top the ram. Connect the secondary diaphragms together
with a hose so they open at the same time.
The side linkage kit cost more but is very high quality and was worth the money
when you see how precise they operate.
I have been working on other projects so this has been shelved for many years now.
Last time I used it with a 528 mechanical dc cam and a 4-speed, 410 gears. Worked great
on that combination for the street. Will use it again in a few years when I have more free time.

Attachments

• IMG_20150619_123625_194.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 76
I always thought that vacuum secondary carbs sideways on a tunnel ram would not feed the secondary side very well at anything under WOT. Both my OFFY and WEIAND tunnel rams have plenum dividers in the upper section that would seem to be a little restrictive in the lower rpms. Center squirters like 660s with the roller linkage are set up to open simultaneously and don't have that to worry about if mounted sideways or otherwise. I haven't tried what you have so I am just asking. I am thinking that on the street your plugs would read a little different on the secondary side? I run a pair of 6425 650 2 barrels I converted to side pivot on a very mild 440 so it acts pretty much like a dominator with 1:1 linkage only better distribution on the manifold.
vbpgimage.php

My manifold is open plenum from the top of the runners to carb flange.
The long runners and small plenum worked at lower rpms fine with
the 528 mech cam I was using. I used those carbs since it was a street car only and I already had them to rebuild.
Most times driving around the secondarys wouldn't open up. I know there are better ways to use a tunnel ram to its potential. This ended up being usable everyday for me without any problems other than no choke on cool mornings.

-
Back