intake and carb suggestions?

-

Elmer-FN-Fudd

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a rebuilt 440, stock rebuild (1970 block with stock 906 heads) 30 over flat top pistons no valve reliefs. Factory HP cam, stock valvetrain. Looking for suggestions on intake and carb recommendations, car will not be raced but also wont be an everyday driver. will be putting headers on and it is an automatic. Just looking for an improvement over the the stock intake and carburator. this is being installed in a 71 duster.

dual plane. eddy performer, as above would be a fantastic intake for that combo.

press the easy button and pair it up with a 3310 vacuum secondary holley 750. or a new AVS II would be an excellent choice as well. both have classic style, classic performance.

a road demon would be trick too, but might require a spacer or modding the intake if not an open plenum design. if you're feelin' saucy a TQ for the old school vibe.

if you want to spend money, a holley brawler with downleg boosters would be trick.

there's TONS of awesome options depending on your ability/desire to tune a carb; but there's also lots of perfectly good options if you just want to snap something together and drive it because you're not looking for that last nth degree of performance.

@junkyardhero, thanks for the reply, I'm all about easy especially since I have never been good at tuning a carb. Performance wise, I think just putting in the big block will give me the desired effect and performance I'm looking for.

iffin you already have the intake and carb? i'd just run it and see what you think. no sense in spending the dosh if what you gots gives ya whats you wants.

I have a rebuilt 440, stock rebuild (1970 block with stock 906 heads) 30 over flat top pistons no valve reliefs. Factory HP cam, stock valvetrain. Looking for suggestions on intake and carb recommendations, car will not be raced but also wont be an everyday driver. will be putting headers on and it is an automatic. Just looking for an improvement over the the stock intake and carburator. this is being installed in a 71 duster.
For your build, I would recommend an Edelbrock AVS2-650 carb. Super reliable, excellent low speed response and you'll get decent fuel economy. The Performer intake is an excellent choice as well.

@junkyardhero, nope, just have a cast iron factory intake and no carb, that is why I was asking for recommendations.
i meant if you already have the stock stuff, just run it and see how you like it. you can choose a carb with room to grow that will work with the factory manifold as well as an aftermarket one.

but if you got a spare 1K floating around in the budget for a new intake and carb... then i'd totally go that route and sell off the factory intake to put a few duckets back in big block slush fund.

taking all the suggestions so just ordered an avs2 carb, now to find a good deal on the intake, thanks everyone for your help.

Fellas, this is a suggestion thread and not a Parts Wanted or Sale thread. You know the rules!

Think he would be much happier with a 650 since he will be running in stock trim. I put a 650 onto my warmed over 440 and it ran just great.
If he ever opens it slam up, he'll like the 800 better. Since the AVS has a secondary air door similar to a Thermoquad, It's extremely forgiving and can be tuned easily. With that style carburetor, I err on the larger side. Even the factory used an 850 Thermoquad on the smog era motors and they ran fine.

If he ever opens it slam up, he'll like the 800 better. Since the AVS has a secondary air door similar to a Thermoquad, It's extremely forgiving and can be tuned easily. With that style carburetor, I err on the larger side. Even the factory used an 850 Thermoquad on the smog era motors and they ran fine.
I certainly agree to a point, but when that 650 is howling the airflow velocity is excellent!

If a vintage Edelbrock or Weiand isn’t available, a RPM is the next little step upwards. They will work better with more than a stock camshaft, gear and stall.

I like the 3310 - 750 Holley suggestion for the Holley camp.
Edelbrock needs to make a 750 AVS II. IMO, the 650 AVS II is OK with Hwy gears and a low performance engine. Older 440’s came with a same AVS in big luxury barges and Hwy gears. I remember this from an old friends ‘67 Imperial.

Put this on it.
BIG BO.jpg

rpm intake won't clear the stock hood ( wouldn't on mine ). Performer intake is fine. Ch4b probably a little better and the holley street dominator would work as well. Carb is up to you.650 would be small(to me) but the minimum I would run.

-
Back