intake & carb for built 318

-

skycuda67

Reaction score
Another amateur build thread, i know lol. After 6 long years of neglecting my 67 fastback I finally have the shop space and time for her. hoping to have it on the road by april. I didn't have the time and money to get it set up properly back then so I just tried to get it together in a hurry before . haste makes waste, forgot the cam was much bigger than the rv my 318 had before and didn't do springs sooo...bent a couple pushrods.
So I pulled the motor out last night, going to go completely though it and put it together better this time. the build is fresh 70 318, with 340 heads, forged pistons cant remember details about them, think he said 10.5:1. The motor was built by keith Hershberger in woodburn Oregon, ran 1000 miles then swapped out for a bigger motor. I bought the block and rolling assembly, but the heads had already been sold, I took the 340 heads from my last motor and had them freshened up then put them on this block. the cam the block came with is a mopar purple 284 484. im not concerned about making this the best possible performing build, just looking for the best intake and carb combo for what I have so I can enjoy the car this summer. i'll be pulling it in a year or two anyways because I have a 360 interceptor long block to focus on while running the 318. I have a edelbrock performer, but im thinking an airgap would be better suited? ebay has some budget ones, ill see about getting some pictures up, help much appreciated!

Man I haven't heard the Hershberger name in a long time.

Retainer to guide clearance is what bends push rods typically.

If your just going to cruse the 318, I'd maybe go to a smaller cam and run the performer and a 500-600cfm brand of carb of your choice.

I had a smaller isky cam before with the performer and 600cfm eddy carb that worked fine. I have an older buddy helping me out with the build who has done a few engines, and he was thinking the springs were the problem but ill mention that to him. that was just his thoughts. ill be mainly cruising it but im not concerned with keeping it street friendly :)

That cam is giving up alot of low end torque man! & will take a loose converter & @ least 3.55's to work at all. Otherwise itll be a SLUG leaving the line & stop light wars! Id keep the duration @ .050 220 or under for a fun street car just from my exp.

I am running 3.55's with a built 727 manual valve body shift and stock converter at the moment, was thinking of going for a 2500. But by all means if there is a cam you can reccomend that will fit the build perfectly I'm definitely not opposed to getting another one, it's just what came with the motor that hershberger put together, but I'm sure he had some worked heads before. So was hoping it'd work, if not, I'm all for switching up

What springs are in your heads now and do you want/intend to change them with the swap?

What springs are in your heads now and do you want/intend to change them with the swap?

I'm not sure of the current springs, but they were set up for an isky rv cam. I am shopping for the springs to make the new cam work but no exactly sure wich ones I need, I've found .500's? I'm also going to go for an airgap intake and I'm thinking a stall convterter would be a good idea, carb size....650cfm?

-
Back