Intake/carburetor set up issues

-

Barracuda 65

Reaction score
I have a 1965 barracuda with 273 LA engine, stock heads and exhaust manifolds, but the previous owner installed a later model (1979 ?) intake manifold (thermoquad?) and an Edelbrock 1406 Spreadbore carburetor and an adaptor and two gaskets. see pics!
Question...what's the best way to correct this setup without having to buy new manifold and or carburetor. It ran really good but had a rattle in the lower end. I just finished a complete rebuild of the engine, but want to see if I can improve on the carb/intake set up.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Terry
manifold 1.jpg
maniford 2.jpg
Carb 1.jpg

Go get a Thermoquad and scrap the rest of that stuff. The carb you have is NOT a spread bore carb. So it’s get a TQ or get a different intake manifold.

You have the adapter upside down. The side you have up is the manifold side, the spreadbore side. I disagree with yellow in this case. 273 doesn't need that much carb I bet it will run just fine. May or may not need jetting changes

You have the adapter upside down. The side you have up is the manifold side, the spreadbore side. I disagree with yellow in this case. 273 doesn't need that much carb I bet it will run just fine. May or may not need jetting changes
Yup that adapter is up side down. You say you have a 65 273? Are the heads later model? 64-65 273 used 5/16” bolts at a different angle too.

Those adapters are a power killer even if they are on correctly. The OP is better off with a TQ with small primaries or changing the intake to something else.

The heads are original and I believe the intake bolts holes were adjusted to make it fit. It had mo leaks anywhere before. if I go with a different intake what would be best with that carburetor?

I agree. Good plan to figure out what will fit without machining.
Then probably a factory 4 bbl intake to match.
A bonus will be no question about hood clearance.

Then it still has the 65 heads on it. Your are limited in your choice of intakes. The D4B Edelbrock is a good choice thou there not easy to find.

OK, you have 64-65 heads, so you should use a 64-65 273 intake OR use angled washers with an 66 up intake. What water pump are you running, aluminum or cast iron? Picture?

OK, you have 64-65 heads, so you should use a 64-65 273 intake OR use angled washers with an 66 up intake. What water pump are you running, aluminum or cast iron? Picture?
Stock type new cast iron Milodon water pump.

Then you should have the smaller bypass hose. I'd suggest a 68-69 340 intake, a Holley Street Dominator, Weiand dual plane, Edelbrock LD4B, or Performer all with angled washers. Intakes to fit your heads would be Offenhauser, Edelbrock D4B, or 64-65 original 273 without the special washers. If you are using the large bypass hose most of those will work, except the original intakes till 1970.

Stock type new cast iron Milodon water pump.
Then you should have the smaller bypass hose. I'd suggest a 68-69 340 intake, a Holley Street Dominator, Weiand dual plane, Edelbrock LD4B, or Performer all with angled washers. Intakes to fit your heads would be Offenhauser, Edelbrock D4B, or 64-65 original 273 without the special washers. If you are using the large bypass hose most of those will work, except the original intakes till 1970.
Thanks for your help and input from all! here's the front view of the rebuilt engine.
engine front.jpg

-
Back