Intake gaskets wicking coolant

-

AP5 392

Reaction score
G'day from Australia everyone!!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum!!

I came across an older thread posted by 71DodgeDemon340. I have tried to message him directly but his messages are full.

regarding felpro intake manifold gaskets wicking coolant when I was looking for information due to mine doing exactly the same thing. I noticed it doing it not long after my engine was built and the cam run in. This has not had any street time before I noticed the gaskets with the wet look and even before I introduced coolant into the system (only water in there to start off with) Running edelbrock performer rpm heads and edelbrock performer airgap manifold.

I've checked everything that he he did, like bolt hole depth, (definitely blind holes too)bolt lengths, straightness of heads/manifold etc. Even changed them out for the felpro steel laminated set and aviation sealed all threads. Lasted for a couple of weeks before I noticed it doing the same thing. When the engine has been run for a while at operating temperature the gaskets seem to return to their original light grey colour, then after sitting around they start wicking the coolant again. Never any leaks whilst engine is running.

I was wondering if he had found a solution? He did mention that he had a set of edelbrock gaskets that he was going to try? Did they rectify the issue? I also have purchased some to try. Have not fitted yet.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm hitting a dead end here with any helpful information or solutions for rectifying this problem. The attached pictures are the first set of gaskets which have now been changed. It's doing the same thing again with the new gaskets.

20240401_164307.jpg

20240401_160226.jpg

If you did not put a thin layer of silicone RTV around the water ports on both sides of the gaskets, that will likely cure your issue.

Also found that problem with the grey edelbrock gaskets when they dry it leaves a white crystal type beads on the edge of the gasket since using the blue felpro MS 90109 haven't had the problem maybe because they have an aluminium core

There was rtv there and I have done both sides of the gaskets at the coolant ports with the new gaskets. It's not the problem. Have a close look at the second picture, zoom in so you can see the edge of the gasket and you will see the coolant beads coming out the edge.

Also found that problem with the grey edelbrock gaskets when they dry it leaves a white crystal type beads on the edge of the gasket since using the blue felpro MS 90109 haven't had the problem maybe because they have an aluminium core
The new felpros I fitted were steel core laminated. Also .065 thickness. Still wicking the same if not probably worse.

Screenshot_20240820_153109_Gallery.jpg

possibly not enough pressure on the seal area of the gasket i use gascachink sealant ,i would be worried about what leaks below into the valley

possibly not enough pressure on the seal area of the gasket i use gascachink sealant ,i would be worried about what leaks below into the valley
Definitely enough pressure. These are all the same suggestions and answers as 71DodgeDemon340 had in his thread. Bolts aren't too long, gasket has enough squish, rtv on both sufaces (on the new ones). Plenty of clearance around bolts and manifold holes. Engine is being pulled to fit a larger oil pan, so I'll take a better look at it when it's out and on the stand.

Also I found this review on Summit Racing regarding these felpro gaskets which I thought was interesting.....

Screenshot_20240316_195831_Chrome.jpg

There was rtv there and I have done both sides of the gaskets at the coolant ports with the new gaskets. It's not the problem. Have a close look at the second picture, zoom in so you can see the edge of the gasket and you will see the coolant beads coming out the edge.
I don't have a way to zoom in, but you described it like the gaskets are soaking up coolant like a sponge and leaking out the outside. Definitely a gasket issue. Time to use something different.

I don't have a way to zoom in, but you described it like the gaskets are soaking up coolant like a sponge and leaking out the outside. Definitely a gasket issue. Time to use something different.
Exactly mate, when a ball/drop of coolant appears on the very outside edge of the gasket not the face it can only be seeping it through the gasket material. An engine builder friend of mine has seen it happen on a chevy that he built with felpros.

That's Weird! I used This same gasket and didn't have this issue...
Have you ever set the Intake on there w/out a gasket just to check the gaps?

1.jpg

Pics Edited...

1213s.jpg

Last edited:
That's Weird! I used This same gasket and didn't have this issue...
Have you ever set the Intake on there w/out a gasket just to check the gaps?

View attachment 1716291932

View attachment 1716291933
Hey! Yes it's weird. All clearances and trueness was checked during the build. All new heads and intake as well. Just wondering if it's just the photo or not, but your gaskets look a lot darker in the second picture with the Intake on. If it is the case then that is the first sign that they're starting to soak.

Exactly mate, when a ball/drop of coolant appears on the very outside edge of the gasket not the face it can only be seeping it through the gasket material. An engine builder friend of mine has seen it happen on a chevy that he built with felpros.
Junk that mopar crap and build you a 351 Cleveland. They have dry intakes. LOL

My Top pic was Wrong (a couple years old) updated.
My last Gasket is a F-P 1213s-3 that is Black in the 2nd pic and (currently) not wicking.
Pics Edited.

Last edited:
My Top pic was Wrong (a couple years old) updated.
My last Gasket is a F-P 1213s-3 that is Black in the 2nd pic and (currently) not wicking.
Pics Edited.
Ok thanks for the clarification, my felpro 1213s-3 looked exactly the same as the 1213 except with the steel core‍.

Ok thanks for the clarification, my felpro 1213s-3 looked exactly the same as the 1213 except with the steel core‍.
Probably the same material. I wouldn't trust um. Get Cometic. I bet those won't do that chit.

Probably the same material. I wouldn't trust um. Get Cometic. I bet those won't do that chit.
Yeah mate, I have a set of edelbrock ones that I might try, I have looked at cometic but it's more an availability issue over here at the moment.

17241353026966339613159146909940.jpg

The fel pro 90109-1 are graphite with an aluminium core they have a compressed area around the seal area i have them on 4 x 340 engines & a ritter plus an r3 none have ever leaked those ones you are having trouble also leach fuel from the intake though the gasket giving a wet look that then turns to paper machete looks like they were made from chairman Mao advertising placards

[1] Have you checked the manifold against the heads without gaskets in place? Gaps because of poor machining?
[2] Could the manifold be touching the china wall such that the gaskets have a gap?
[3] This works, been doing it for years, do it every engine I build, for a better seal. Get a Dremel with a 1/10 - 1/8" carbide rotary burr. [ Get them at Bunnings ]. Grind a depression around the coolant openings, on the heads & the intake man. Go about 0.020-0.030" deep. What this does is create a trench or anchor. Use silicon to seal it. The silicon does not get squeezed out because it is locked in place. I have even used the cheap Parfix silicon from Bunnings, no leaks.

The fel pro 90109-1 are graphite with an aluminium core they have a compressed area around the seal area i have them on 4 x 340 engines & a ritter plus an r3 none have ever leaked those ones you are having trouble also leach fuel from the intake though the gasket giving a wet look that then turns to paper machete looks like they were made from chairman Mao advertising placards
Correct me if I'm wrong which I might be. They look to be only suitable for cast heads, not alloy edelbrock heads. Port sizing is different I'm pretty sure. Edelbrock head instructions recommend either their gasket or felpro 1213

[1] Have you checked the manifold against the heads without gaskets in place? Gaps because of poor machining?
[2] Could the manifold be touching the china wall such that the gaskets have a gap?
[3] This works, been doing it for years, do it every engine I build, for a better seal. Get a Dremel with a 1/10 - 1/8" carbide rotary burr. [ Get them at Bunnings ]. Grind a depression around the coolant openings, on the heads & the intake man. Go about 0.020-0.030" deep. What this does is create a trench or anchor. Use silicon to seal it. The silicon does not get squeezed out because it is locked in place. I have even used the cheap Parfix silicon from Bunnings, no leaks.
Thanks for the suggestion mate, but I won't be taking a die grinder/ burr to my manifold or heads. This is a wicking issue not a leakage. Plenty of gap on the china walls to the intake as well. As mentioned in my earlier responses, if you look at the second picture I posted you can see the coolant weeping out from the edge of the gasket. This engine has been built by a professional engine builder and all machine work done by a very reputable machine shop.

20240401_160226.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong which I might be. They look to be only suitable for cast heads, not alloy edelbrock heads. Port sizing is different I'm pretty sure. Edelbrock head instructions recommend either their gasket or felpro 1213
I have them on promaxx ,Edelbrock performa,Edelbrock Victor & cast J 340 also a set of EQ but they were ported ,the gasket is pretty close to an exact match to the port i think large port the gasket hole is 1 5/16" x 2 1/4" i always leave for a day or 2 for the silastic to set on the China wall

-
Back