Intake gaskets wicking coolant

-
The fel pro 90109-1 are graphite with an aluminium core they have a compressed area around the seal area i have them on 4 x 340 engines & a ritter plus an r3 none have ever leaked those ones you are having trouble also leach fuel from the intake though the gasket giving a wet look that then turns to paper machete looks like they were made from chairman Mao advertising placard

The fel pro 90109-1 are graphite with an aluminium core they have a compressed area around the seal area i have them on 4 x 340 engines & a ritter plus an r3 none have ever leaked those ones you are having trouble also leach fuel from the intake though the gasket giving a wet look that then turns to paper machete looks like they were made from chairman Mao advertising placards

The fel pro 90109-1 are graphite with an aluminium core they have a compressed area around the seal area i have them on 4 x 340 engines & a ritter plus an r3 none have ever leaked those ones you are having trouble also leach fuel from the intake though the gasket giving a wet look that then turns to paper machete looks like they were made from chairman Mao advertising placards

FYI if you type a members name like this you will get their attention about the thread,
@71DodgeDemon340
That's great info thanks mate. I'm only new to forums so thank you.

G'mornin or I should say Evening for your Hemi'sphere. Since I dont see it mentioned in the post I get to ask the obvious questions. Did you wipe the mating surfaces clean with a degreaser, I use rubbing alcohol. And the most obvious question; Have the china wall pins been removed?

Were the heads surfaced excessively? This could be causing problems because the mating angles of the intake and head are wrong. As suggested, put the intake on dry with no gaskets and check the clearances front and rear. You may have to have the intake angle milled by a machinist to correct it, if this is the problem. DO NOT attempt to correct it at home with a grinder, you will end up with an expensive door stop.

G'mornin or I should say Evening for your Hemi'sphere. Since I dont see it mentioned in the post I get to ask the obvious questions. Did you wipe the mating surfaces clean with a degreaser, I use rubbing alcohol. And the most obvious question; Have the china wall pins been removed?
No china wall pins, mating surfaces have all been cleaned with brake clean and wax/grease remover. Brand new heads and manifold.

Were the heads surfaced excessively? This could be causing problems because the mating angles of the intake and head are wrong. As suggested, put the intake on dry with no gaskets and check the clearances front and rear. You may have to have the intake angle milled by a machinist to correct it, if this is the problem. DO NOT attempt to correct it at home with a grinder, you will end up with an expensive door stop.
Brand new heads and manifold. All angles have been checked again and even before first assembly. As mentioned before, it's not a sealing face or angle issue, there are no vacuum leaks or coolant leaks when engine is running. Gaskets wicking coolant to outer edges and surfaces.

20240401_160226.jpg

Hi all,
I want to thank everyone for their time, input and suggestions into this issue but it's going around in circles. I really would have liked to find out if @71DodgeDemon340 sorted out he's exact same issue with a different brand of gasket. Consequently I'm going to end this thread.

-
Back