Intake Installation

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
I pulled my Eddy RPM intake off, used Edelbrock glue to seal a couple of very thin tin (eavetrough tin) pieces to block the heat riser ports off on both sides. Works great as the engine bay is much cooler, no cooked paint on the block or clearcoat on the intake. However, power is down a bit and oil is puddling in the valley pan under the intake after a couple of hard pulls. I suspect an intake leak.
So, to fix i will remove the intake, see if i can see where i went wrong and re-assemble.
Does anyone have any tricks to ensure that it is installed correctly?
New felpro gaskets? above and below the valley pan? just above? Certain sealant used? Should i seal the intake bolts as i install them?
Any help would be appreciated as i one want this to be the last time i have to pull it off.
Thanks.

Fel-Pro makes a gasket to block off the heat riser. The tin you used will not last long, that was my first attempt and it was short lived.

My guess is you are correct on the leak. If you're pulling it again replace the gaskets. I do use a little non hardening thread sealant on the bolts.

- Small Block or Big Block ?

- Stock heads ?

- Heads milled / block decked ?

Definitely use Thread Sealer on bolts which "interfere" with liquids' passages ( coolant passages on LA engines , front and rear ) .

- Small Block or Big Block ?

- Stock heads ?

- Heads milled / block decked ?

Definitely use Thread Sealer on bolts which "interfere" with liquids' passages ( coolant passages on LA engines , front and rear ) .

I'm assuming big block as it's in big block tech.

Sorry....440, massaged 915's, Edelbrock RPM, 770 SA Holley, Low pressure/high volume oil pump, 400 HP/550 torque, all stuffed into a 69 Barracuda notch.
Well, yanked the carb/intake off and this pic shows what i found....cracked valley pan. Its in the middle of the pan just a couple of inches off centre towards the back. Its weird, as this engine only has 600 miles on it and the pan was new on the rebuild.
It explains my oil leak for sure. I'll get a new pan with the riser blocked off already, re-install and hope for the best.
Any ideas what would crack a new valley pan?

Attachments

• crkd pan1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 199
I searched a few threads and may have found my cracked valley pan culprit. During initial break-in just running in the garage by dipstick blew out and i found that the PVC valve was blocked. After this i installed a new pvc valve and put a breather on the opposite valve cover.
It must have pressured up enough to crack the valley pan slightly and then just got worse. What'd ya think? Am i out to lunch on this hypothesis?

Here's a couple of good threads i found in regards to valley pans.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132405&highlight=valley+pan

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=99330&highlight=valley+pan

Yes, crankcase pressure will crack them like that pretty quickly...

-
Back