Intake Manifold Gasket Question

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
So I am going to be removing my Edelbrock Performer Manifold to do some detailing and touch up work on my engine and I had a question. Should I use the cork end gaskets when I put it back together or just lay down some Permatex Black between the block and manifold? Just wondering if I could achieve a better seal with or without the cork end gaskets. Please input your thoughts on this. Thanks

Some where on Edelbrock site it states to ONLY use Permatex on the intake end seals. When I was in high school my auto mechanics teacher told us to throw away the cork gaskets.... on ANY intake manifold. Makes sense to me because I just wouldnt trust cork... that's ancient stuff now days. lol

I haven't used the intake end seals on any engine since RTV got popular in the '70's

Definately RTV.
Make sure you use a liberal amount (3/8" bead ).

ehh, last time I didnt used them I thought I had a problem. Ended up getting water in the oil. Used them and it fixed it. But Im still checking the bearings tomorrow to see if there was damage, most likely :/

ehh, last time I didnt used them I thought I had a problem. Ended up getting water in the oil. Used them and it fixed it. But Im still checking the bearings tomorrow to see if there was damage, most likely :/
I always use RTV around water ports,never had water in my oil from changing an intake manifold.

Im just saying what happened when I used eddy gaskets and no seals.

I have used them and I have also used just RTV and so far have had good luck with both.

however....even when I do use cork end gaskets I still smear them down with silicone for better adhesion.

but I don't think you will have a problem with just rtv.

( I also put a thin smear of rtv around my wet ports of the gasket)

-
Back