intake manifold leaking oil into cylinders. any ideas?

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I have had this issue in the past with a couple of builds using this manifold on my iron heads. I thought it would be better now I am running edelbrock heads with an edelbrock manifold but its not. Not sure what causing it as the engine does not present like an engine with any manifold leaks. Steady vacuum and runs great apart from burning oil. I need to get this right as when i ad my boost i am worried it will now push the other way and force fuel into my oil thinning it etc etc
When I sit the manifold on with no gaskets the angles look perfect and because there are no gaskets there are small gaps each side as the manifold sits on the ends. When I put gaskets in it sits on the gasket and not on the ends so I have to seal the front and rear as per normal. When i take the manifold off there is a nice bead of sealant front and rear that tells me its not bottoming out.
My edelbrock gaskets look to be good quality and are .060 thick. The only thing that i can think is i am not torqueing it down enough as my torque wrench starts at 10FT LBS and i am torqueing to 12FT LBS It doesn't appear to be too accurate down low but the bolts feel pretty tight by hand when i checked them. I could use 2 gaskets but would rather find the cause and fix it.
cheers

I like to see about 0.050 thick of sealer at both ends of the manifold instead of the cork gaskets. Other than that you may have an angularity issue with the fitment of manifold to head.

Will add that some manifolds are not drilled for the alignment pins in the block or the pins may be too long to allow the intake to sit properly. But you state the ends sit on the block without the gasket.

Oil coming in from the bottom of the runners usually means the angle of the intake and heads is not the same.

Oil coming in from the bottom of the runners usually means the angle of the intake and heads is not the same.

Agree 100% intakes hitting tight at the top and not at the bottom,some rtv might take care of it. Lot easier than milling intake.

Thanks for the reply's
I will sit the manifold on without the gaskets but still install the bolts.
I will use feeler gauges to try to see if the angles are ok. Looks good to the eye but will find out for sure.

My concern is that I am supercharging this engine. Not 100% sure it will hold the pressure

...valid concern

Well, you know what you gotta do...press on--we'd like to know what comes out of it

As said use "RTV" or even better "The Right Stuff" although sometimes hard to find BUT not only around the water ports but also a little on both sides of the gasket and make sure that when you set the intake on the motor that it is laid down carefully, level and straight. Good luck. Sometimes 4 hands is useful specially if you have a heavy stock intake.
If you want more details, PM me.

Jean-Guy

My concern is that I am supercharging this engine. Not 100% sure it will hold the pressure

Then I would get the geometry of the heads and intake fixed. Putting sealer on it may just blow out when you supercharge it....

You can fix it right the first time, or the next time.... You pick...

Maybe it's just me, but that mating surface looks a tad rough in the bottom pic. You might try cleaning that up with a flat block and some wet or dry paper.

The surface may not be biting like it should.

Just throwing it out there.

12ft lbs on the torgue seems pretty light. Edelbrock calls for 25 ft lbs on their aluminum Performer Intake.

hmmmmm....

You use RTV on the end rails?

Sure do, those cork gaskets get old, hard and brittle over time and start weeping oil.
Maca, bolt one side of the manifold to one of the heads washout a gasket the run some feeler gauges around the gap between the manifold on the other head. Should give you some idea what's going on. Make sure there is still a gap at the rail ends, but without the gasket there may bot be, so check.

Search Hughes Engines online and look in their tech for checking head to intake angles. It'll show you how to mock it up using you old intake gaskets.

12ft lbs on the torgue seems pretty light. Edelbrock calls for 25 ft lbs on their aluminum Performer Intake.

Its a Magnum setup, if you over torque the intake bolts, you can split the block. I have seen it when I used to work at Chrysler, wedge affect pushing the intake down.

It could be the block was not decked right, heads could be off, intake could be off. Its pretty rare to see this oil consumption, but it does happen.

Mike I think your right. I phoned edelbrock this morning and they checked their torque settings and came back with 12LBS too.
I will search on their website on how to check angles etc as suggested above.
I only have 2 issues to sort out now. This manifold leak and my getting my lifters pumping enough oil up I can put the engine back in and happy days for me;)
No idea what HP I will get but getting excited.
cheers

My Bad. I was thinking LA block which torque at 25 lbs. Hope he gets it worked out. I've had leak issues with mine a few different times and it get old real fast having to keep pulling the intake off.

Hi Maca
Can't give you much advice on both your issues. I have been following your threads on a few sites with interest, hope you get it sorted before Mopar Sunday as I would like to see the Charger run.

Hi Maca
Can't give you much advice on both your issues. I have been following your threads on a few sites with interest, hope you get it sorted before Mopar Sunday as I would like to see the Charger run.

Thanks MR4V
If you go to Mopar Sunday come and say hi
cheers

Hey all
Not sure why I keep getting oil leaking into cylinders through the bottom of the gasket.
I sat the manifold on tonight and placed the bolts in to locate it. With the bolts used just as locators and leaving them loose the manifold looks perfect. I cant fault it.
IMAG0952.jpg
IMAG0953.jpg

-
Back