Intake manifold oil leak

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
Wondering your guys' opinion on an oil leak i have. Oil is pooling onto the manifold. Part of the head is exposed (which i'm not a fan of) the oil is gone now but i imagine it ran back into that hole in the head. Is there a reason the intake manifold doesnt match up completely with the head? I already sealed this thing twice. Once to put the new manifold on and the other time to reseal the back after i didn't use enough gasket maker (d'oh!) Just wondering if i'm doing something wrong. I really don't like the idea of redoing this over and over again. Thanks for your help guys.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 712
It appears you are using an intake without the heat crossover. The opening you see is the heat crossover. Did you have the valve covers off when you installed the intake? If so you might look there for a leak.

When I had oil there it was from the valve covers not sealing. Your valve covers may be hitting the intake manifold runners.
If they are you need to grind the gasket lip on them a bit so the valve covers can sit down tight on the heads and/or get a thicker valve cover gasket.

I see you are using the cast aluminum mopar performance valve covers, and with some intake manifolds, the valve cover lip rest on the intake runners, and may need to be notched. If this is the case, the valve cover's are not sitting on the head properly, and may be causing your oil leak. Just a thought.....

The Eeelbrock Performer he has there is a intake with a heat cross over. Tht intake lacks a EGR valve. The half moon shape area in the head is a heat cavity. No oil comes from it a d it's exposure is fine.

Your likely to have oil drip from the valve cover or seep up through the intake manifolds bolts. Try Teflon tape around the threads to seal the leak. No need to remove the Intake if the gaskets are working.

Good mention Fan of Petty/69 dart 340

Some times a grinding of the valve cover is needed. I do not know if such is the case with that intake. I jus git a Performer, I need to check when I get home.

If the bolts threads and the threads in the head are clean and oil free, rtv will seal them. A re-torque could possibly cause seaping again.
I've never tried teflon tape there.

Every Mopar wedge I've ever seen, from a 273 to a 360, and from a 361 to a 440, excepting of course the TRUE original "Max Wedge" heads, HAS that cutout and it is EXposed. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with your oil leak.

Could be a cracked manifold or valve cover, or gaskets. Improper crank case venting, IE positive pressure, increases oil leak problems. Could be an imperfection in the VC gasket surface of the heads which is NOT machined "as one might think."

Other advice given above, IE VC interference with the intake, and leaking bolt threads is also a possibility.

When I had oil there it was from the valve covers not sealing. Your valve covers may be hitting the intake manifold runners.
If they are you need to grind the gasket lip on them a bit so the valve covers can sit down tight on the heads and/or get a thicker valve cover gasket.

X2. I had exact problem after I put new gaskets that were a little thinner. Had to grind the valve cover lip.

Also, be sure the head surface has no gasket residual (gasket scraper)

Finally, some of the Mopar Performance valve cover have casting marks on the underside where the gasket seats. Need to Dremmel those smooth as well.

-
Back