Intake Manifold

-
Reaction score
I am contemplating either an Aussie Speed Shop or Clifford's Performance two barrel manifold and carburetor.

could anyone give me their suggestions or experience with either of these on a basically stock slant six in a Valiant?

I've not used either of those but I have inverted natural gas adapters for industrial engines on the 1 barrel intake and they worked well. If you can find the adapter that is only about an inch thick, set it up for countersunk bolts to the manifold and then bolt a BBD from a 318 on it. It is a marked improvement over the 1bbl especially when you open up the exhaust. The only down side is in cold weather it can get carburetor ice that affects the idle. The adapter that is about 3" tall works fine too but the hood gets in the way!
This engine has the taller one...
vbpgimage.php

I am contemplating either an Aussie Speed Shop or Clifford's Performance two barrel manifold and carburetor.

could anyone give me their suggestions or experience with either of these on a basically stock slant six in a Valiant?

Get neither.

Aussiespeed: nice fancy lookin intake that (for the 2v) is a complete waste of money. Isn't even the best for performance, long runners look cool, but are hard to heat (water heat? slooowww) very limited selection of carbs

Clifford: I assume you mean the one set up for a Weber? that's nothing more than their 4v intake w/ an adapter. Also, they have earned a pretty sketchy reputation since Jack passed... buyer beware. Also, that intake will REQUIRE headers, and not be very nice on a stock street cruiser. Also water heated.

My suggestion? Offy 4v intake w/ a 2v adapter. Works with a stock exhaust mani and all. And a 2.25 exhaust. And a recurved distributor. And (if you have the head off) shave some off the head.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am completely new to the slant six's and just getting back into the Mopar's after being out for around 20 years. The Aussie Performance intake looks like a great idea, and the Clifford is the only other stuff I had really seen so far.

Good to hear opinions on them before I jump into something.

I have the aussie 2v, paid $300 used. I feel like I would have been better off to buy a new or used Offy. I was able to buy a used offy and 450cfm hollley for $150. There is no way I'd pay the $600 (plus shipping across the pond), but that's just me. If you do go that route, I'd get the 4v version and just use an adapter plate for the 2. Just my $.02

I recently scored a deeply-discounted Aussie 2V long-runner intake. If I were staying with a carburetor, this may not have been my first pick.

However, I'll be putting and EFI kit to do the job of fuel/air metering, which is SO much more forgiving when things are 'cold'. It's actually a very well-engineered intake manifold, and for the purposes of the (eventual) daily-driver duties of the Dart I'm restoring, this intake was an easy choice. It will complement the low/mid rpm powerband I'm building towards.

Yes, my Aussie is saved for an efi project down the road as well. If you can buy a used one at a discounted rate, I feel like they are good for that. I didn't mean to bash them entirely, there is some good in 'em.

-
Back