Intake problems

-

Matt68

Reaction score
My cast iron intake won’t accommodate my ‘72 Thermoquad. What am I missing?

image.jpg

Thanks for all the help. I just assumed all 340 intakes were the same. I’ll hunt for an AVS.

1406 Square Bore Edelbrock will drop right on there without having to shim it up.

Nice stock 340 non egr manifold you have there.

Screenshot_20200807-121328_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220305-190242_Gallery.jpg

They are both spread bore. I think, as mentioned, I need a Carter AVS
They are NOT both spread bore. A Thermoquad is a spreadbore carburetor, your manifold is a square bore. You need to either get a Carter AVS/AFB or Eddy carb, or change to a spread bore manifold and use your TQ. Or- use the aforementioned carb adapter.

If you have a good TQ, just look for a decent TQ intake used. Probably can find one local or at a pick & pull for a reasonable price. Heck, you can sell that one and probably come out ahead.

Ok. I thought the larger rear and smaller front openings made it a spread bore. My bad.
This is the normal description given for what is and is not. But this is not accurate and leads people to think what you thought. The “Spreadbore” is a big offset in the butterfly sizes. The square bore carbs can be off set in size a little bit.

Look in the for sale section here for a TQ spreadbore intake for sale. I’m pretty sure there is a few there.

Got one of those MrGasket spread bore adapters (used, with all bolts to mount to intake and mount carb) I’ll never use if you’re interested. Drop me a PM if so

-
Back