Intake Question

-

Sick_Six225

72 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
72 Dodge Dart Swinger, 225 Slant Six, 2bbl Carb, Long Tube Header. Was Wondering when taking off the intake manifold so I can paint it, Will I need to take the exhaust header or does it have its own bolts to take it off with?

Most of them are shared except for the 2 on each end (exhaust only) and 1 in the middle (intake only). You will want to replace the gasket so you might as well take them all off.

Take photos first, and read the great post on slantsix.org (can find recent links here) about how to install the triangle and cone washers correctly, because they are opposite what most would think and if you do it wrong the exhaust manifold can later crack. Also, read up on how to align the two manifolds together. I like the method of snug a bit at the 3 bolts, snug at head (without a gasket), repeat several times, remove and install the assembly with a gasket. Also, read-up on paints to use. For engine parts, I used Rust Destroyer as a primer (spray or can) and Rustoleum Engine Paint spray for topcoat.

-
Back