Intake Queston

-

Chuckman

Reaction score
We just rebuilt a 225 slant six. When we pulled the intake and manifold off to rebuild the engine we noticed that there did not appear to be any gasket sealer in the intake manifold gasket. I can understand this with the manifold, heat would burn it away, but how about the intake side?

The above cited article is very useful. The notes on the warpage on the exhaust are key; getting the manifolds aligned and properly set up together, and running them across a balanchard grinder is a good thing to do.

I have used Hi Temp Copper RTV on the exhaust ports with no problems; if you have any erosion on the exhaust ports (head side or manifold), you will very likely need some, unless you get the manifolds ground flat. The article mentions some use of RTV's; I prefer to use some on the intakes as standard practice to just not have erratic sealing; usually does not take much.

Sealing up an originnal type steel shim manifold gasket is a challenge.....the better Felpro's are easier, IMO. Have not found the NAPA part in the article. (But their inter-manifold steel gasket at the heat riser is not so great; too thin.)

-
Back