Intake roll pins

-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
Do I remove the roll pins from intake deck surface of the motor if my aluminum intake lacks the clearance holes just like the ones that are found on the stock cast intake?

I don't know if I should drill clearance holes in the aluminum intake and use cork gasket or pull the roll pins and use a health bead of black RTV.

IMG_9396.JPG

IMG_9395.JPG

IMG_9393.JPG

IMG_9394.JPG

I'd just remove the pins, forget the end gaskets and use a thick bead of RTV gasket maker

I just went through this with my Edelbrock intake. Take the advice of all of the great teachers here and pull the pins & use "the right stuff" sealant (more than you would think) then skip the supplied end gaskets.

What i mean by "more than you would think" is what I would have considered a copious amount of black sealant. My Chevy pals all told me to use more than the 1/4 bead that I put on the block... Then I had a leak. It cost me time & frustration. You need a hell of a bead of this stuff. Don't hesitate to put more on then you would think that a Mopar engine would take. I must have gone with a fat 1/2 + (!) to get a good seal. Did it twice because of that.

Enjoy.

set the intake on there dry with the runner gaskets you are using in place - measure the gap at the back and front between the bottom of the intake and the top of the engine - you'll need a "wall" of sealant at least that thick - but be careful you don't use so much that it squeezes back into the oil galley... take your time, use your head

taken from instruction sheet (page 4) from Edelbrock: WARNING: On most Chrysler and Ford engines, there are dowel pins in the front and rear valley seal surfaces. These dowel pins MUST be removed. Edelbrock manifolds are not drilled for dowel pins and will not seal if they are not removed. Damage may result.
Also - check out page 5 -- http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/install/misc/general-intake-manifold.pdf

Scampmike this is awesome. backing practice with documentation. This is why I love this site and its members!!!

As mentioned above pull the dowel pins and use the product called the right stuff. I prefer the small caulking gun style size available at napa auto parts

We countersunk holes in the Edelbrock intake's end flanges to be able to use the stock gaskets on the roll pins. We also cuts down the rolls pins to about 1/4" above the block end walls. The heads have not been cut and the deck cut only .020", so the stock stuff works fine for us, but not all setups will work with them.

-
Back