intake selection for 600hp 451 ci

-

Summit925

Reaction score
So I put my motor together and am about to dyno it trying to hit the 575-600hp mark, its about time to dyno but am second guessing my intake I currently have a ported tourqer and am thinking about going to a victor.
motor set up is
451 400
10.8:1 compression
Cnc edelbrock that flow 320 @ 600
Hughes .588/.600 .250/.254 @.050solid cam
2"tti headers
850 hp carb
1.5 rockers

Am I on track for 600hp? I'd rather swap out intake or save the 300$ and install 1.6 rockers now if needed befor it's dyno time. I know my duration should be alittle more but It fit my turbo action convertor and didn't plan on going this wild
Any help would be awesome!

What's wrong with the Eddy RPM?

Bobby, I didn't see anything wrong with his heads or there description.
Everything looks good but actual performance.... IDK. It looks like high 500's for HP.
I was under the impression that the Cometic gaskets needed a certain finish to be used or is that a certain Cometic gasket that needs a certain finish.

The Victor should be worth a few more HP. I don't know if it is worth the price vs. gain over the Torquer unless "That" number (HP) is really "That" important. I'd love my future W5 stroker to make 600, but running the time is more important to me than a big dyno number.

I would not swap head gaskets for a .05 gain. It is not worth it. IMO, just dyno it as is. Before you bring it to the dyno, ask the guys that are there.

You never mentioned the car weight, converter choice & gear ratio. Just my opinion: This info would help us,make a better long term recommendation ,for the engine in the car.

You never mentioned the car weight, converter choice & gear ratio. Just my opinion: This info would help us,make a better long term recommendation ,for the engine in the car.

after doing a "bunch" of research, having a manifold flowed before and after my tricks, I wouldn`t spend the extra $ to buy a victor over what you`ve got, unless your hunting every last h.p. you can squeeze out of you engine. a well worked torquer 2 will outflow a stock victor! by the way, I do have a new victor that has the plenum debuggard, if you want one. I don`t have scoop clearance for it w/ an air cleaner-------bob

sorry guys cars a 71 duster 3300lb 8 3/4 3.73 gears turbo action 3800 stall, where you guys think I'll be at for hp? Not looking to spend a ton of cash for a couple hp but don't wanna disappointed

Are the 1.5 rockers stock? If so, I'd upgrade!
Will the head handle the new lift of 1.6 rockers?

1.6 adds lift over 1.5, and changes geometry - what is your PTV clearance now.. take the cam's lobe lift and multiply it by 1.6 to get the new gross lift

IIRC 1.5 to 1.6 is not worth the money. Someone did this and the results were less than satisfying to the buyer...like +-1% HP. I think a carb change does more to up the ante than most anything short of a camshaft and headers.

.627/.640 would be with 1.6 rockers, my machinest told me I could run up to .700, but u personally wouldn't like to push that, my 850 is custom blended flow about 920 or so says the builder. Would a full 950 be a better choice?

I'd run what ha got and move to 1.6's if you fall slightly short.

What's wrong with the Eddy RPM?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. It's 2nd, only in some application to the victor.

If you are looking for a little more out of your performer RPm put a HVH super sucker on top of it. I've got the dyno sheets to prove it works.

I ran a Holley Street dominator on my 400 based 472 in a 74 charger, it did very well, only thing I did was port match it to the heads, I never dyno'd it before I sold it during great recession of 08 for a loss, but it really did seem to like that intake just from the seat of the pants feel.

I ran a Holley Street dominator on my 400 based 472 in a 74 charger, it did very well, only thing I did was port match it to the heads, I never dyno'd it before I sold it during great recession of 08 for a loss, but it really did seem to like that intake just from the seat of the pants feel.

From Hughes engines.

"Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane
Stock average 314 CFM

Big block Edelbrock RPM
Stock average 285 CFM

Holley Street Dominator B/B
Stock average 282.3 CFM

This manifold is designed for a spread bore carburetor, like the M-1. Like the M-1, your money would be better spent on the Edelbrock Victor intake."

From Hughes engines.

"Edelbrock Victor 440 Single Plane
Stock average 314 CFM

Big block Edelbrock RPM
Stock average 285 CFM

Holley Street Dominator B/B
Stock average 282.3 CFM

This manifold is designed for a spread bore carburetor, like the M-1. Like the M-1, your money would be better spent on the Edelbrock Victor intake."

Found this article very intriguing and surprising in some cases.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0207-intake-manifold-engine-and-rpm-range-test/

That just blew my mind....

:violent2:

It did mine too. Was very surprised at how some of these performed. Would never have thought the SD would do that well

Or the Torker II for that matter

The Mopar M1 4500 intake works really well and it is fairly inexpensive. If you have a dual pattern base plate then a 4150 carb will bolt right on. I prefer the M1 4500 to the Victor since the Victor has such a small plenum.

-
Back