Intake Suggestions 340 w/One Step above Stock Cam and a Street Demon Carb

-

jb123

Reaction score
Intake Suggestions 340 w/a One Step above Stock Cam and a Street Demon Carb

I dont want to use a spacer which is what I used on my stock intake on my old engine I am replacing now.

This is a 70 340 daily driver

An Air Gap? What Say You? Thanks - JB

If you can find one a LD-340 or RPM airgap.
It is a budget car. I need something readily available at an affordable price range. RPM AirGap is a good suggestion it seems at this point. Thank You for your input. Any More comments would be appreciated. JB

A 1 step above a stock cam?
I wouldn't spend the money on anything and run the oem intake (and carb) without a second thought.

I agree with rumble, the cast is pretty good. I have a Weiand action plus, and I like it a lot.

Yup. You can't get more correct than this.
The engine that is coming out ran really nice with the stock intake and the spacer and the street demon. I can attest to that. I gave the engine builder a stock intake I bought from a boardie in my area for the new engine but when fluxed it showed a crack. The old engine intake was also showing some minor oil leakage that was pooling around a few mounting bolts so I dont trust it really. I think I am going to buy a new RPM and suck up the cost. Oh Well there goes another $350 bucks! JB

The engine that is coming out ran really nice with the stock intake and the spacer and the street demon. I can attest to that. I gave the engine builder a stock intake I bought from a boardie in my area for the new engine but when fluxed it showed a crack. The old engine intake was also showing some minor oil leakage that was pooling around a few mounting bolts so I dont trust it really. I think I am going to buy a new RPM and suck up the cost. Oh Well there goes another $350 bucks! JB
Weiand action plus new is like 208.00. If cost is a topic, then I'd look at it. Up to you

Air Gap is an excellent intake forget about the demon carb. unless you really know how to tune one.. get yourself a Holley 650 you'll be MUCH happier..

I bought mine through Auto zone on line. With their discount they had going at the time, I paid $262.27 for my Airgap. Only about 4 months ago.

The old engine intake was also showing some minor oil leakage that was pooling around a few mounting bolts so I dont trust it really.

That could be nothing more than the intake bolts needing some sealant. Oil can and will wick up the threads and cause said issues.

That's true. Internal crank case pressure forces oil up the intake bolts.

Weiand S/B intakes perform very well and are a few bucks cheaper, more so used.

That's true. Internal crank case pressure forces oil up the intake bolts.

Weiand S/B intakes perform very well and are a few bucks cheaper, more so used.
I am starting to lean this direction now.......... Any comments on the choice between the Stealth and the Action Plus? Thanks - JB

If this engine is your end game than either one will do. If there are future mods in mind down the road like a 4" stroke crank, I would go the RPM.

If this engine is your end game than either one will do. If there are future mods in mind down the road like a 4" stroke crank, I would go the RPM.
This is the end for this engine. The one I am taking out may be done differently in the future. I am leaning toward the Stealth Weiand for this basic setup I am working with now. Any objections? I will listen to anything? Thanks - JB

I have the air gap, quick fuel 650 DP, extremely happy. Had the Eddy RPM performer before, OK but not close to the air gap league. Good Luck, TT

This is the end for this engine. The one I am taking out may be done differently in the future. I am leaning toward the Stealth Weiand for this basic setup I am working with now. Any objections? I will listen to anything? Thanks - JB

either will work. I believe the Action plus is cheaper. Maybe look for either used in good condition....??

I personally would shy away from the Weiand intakes! I've bought two ActionPlus' over the years and couldn't use either! If you layed a gasket on it, the ports were all shifted to one side instead of centered like the Eddys I've used.

What is one step above stock 340 cam ?
In comp cam xe---h line the 250 cam is about par even arguably slightly hotter.
340 cam is pretty mild, exactly what cam you are running ??

I am starting to lean this direction now.......... Any comments on the choice between the Stealth and the Action Plus? Thanks - JB
Of the 2, it will not matter.
The Stealth is a square bore and the Action Plus is anspreadbore.
The advertising pictures are not correct OR maybe it was an earlier version. But the Stealth I have is a squarebore.

The port alignment wasn't to good. Workable though. I made a post "When stuff don't fit" with pictures of the grinding I had to do on it to bolt it down. The RPM-AG I have is much much better fitting.

When stuff don't fit.....

Since you "need" a intake, IMO, I'd spend the money on a RPM. If money is tight, a used Weiand is a great choice.

Whilst not wishing to contradict the good info above, if I was buying a new manifold I'd go the extra and have an Air Gap. I've always used them on my 340/360 motors even when only a mild build with a XE262 cam. The various dyno articles indicate that torque improves right thru the power band.
Possibly the only consideration is that the AirGap does put the throttle cable and kick down lever higher than stock.

-
Back