intake switch.

-

MI_Mopar

Reaction score
so i changed my 2bbl cast iron intake out with a performer 4 bbl last night and im curious about a couple of things. first off, is the port hole in picture supposed to be all blocked up? and if not how do i unclog it with out getting all the stuff down into the block....matter of fact how do i clean off the surfaces to put new intake gaskets on with out getting gunk down into the engine. also i bought felpro gasket set..any thoughts on the cork ends?(good...bad) and i found some little metal peices underneath the intake, any ideas what thats from?

DSC_1006.jpg

DSC_1008.jpg

DSC_0989.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

If that were mine I would pull the head. So no its not suppose to look like that. As far as the metal peices not sure. Snap a photo of it. If you dont what to pull the heads try a shop vac maybe.

any guesses as to what would cause that so i can make sure it does not happen again?

There something fishy about that intake. What are the holes for?

I have the same intake on my engine and there isn't any holes there... just wondering if that cause the problem. That port is connected to the exhaust so getting it out with a vacuum would be route I would go. I know that stuff is sometimes very hard.

I bought the Felpro gaskets that blocked the ports all together... so I believe you don't need to even worry about cleaning the port out. Those ports help to heat up the air/fuel mixture on cold mornings.

DSC_0989.jpg

That "stuff" is carbon, and that port is part of the exhaust cross-over. It's designed to warm the manifold faster for fuel economy. The extra holes are for an EGR system. needs to be blocked off to work properly in your application.

thanks, so how would one go about blocking them off properly? weld them shut or do they sell caps that screw in?

thanks, so how would one go about blocking them off properly? weld them shut or do they sell caps that screw in?

I'd say a 1/8" piece of aluminum and make a gasket for it. Felpro sells gasket making material. If the screw holes aren't messed up then you bolt it down.

or

tap the holes and plug them.

It looks like some of your cam lobes are trashed. Get a better picture of those and post.

Make a plate and block off the EGR.

The carbon is from the engine burning oil.

The port in the head should be left alone unless you take the head off. It leads directlt to the exhaust port for heat to come up and warm the intake and carb up quickly for cold weather driving.

The upsidedown U shape is not to be covered by anything except may the gasket. IF the gasket does not cover it, do not worry about it. It's just basicly a cave with no exhaust gas coming out of it.

The holes in the intake are in and out ports that connect to that port in the head. Ethier get a used EGR valve and gasket and install it, but do not hook it up. If you put a vacuum line to it, it'll work. No vacuum, it stays closed.

OR

Tap it for plugs which you can get at a hardware store.

ALSO, FYI, the EGR gasket material must be a special high temp gasket or it will just burn up. A factory part should be available at a dealer or possiblely on line for purchase.
(Guess how I know that one, LOL! )

To clean the head surface without head removal and to keep a clean engine free from debrise, lay down some rags in the engines valley covering up as much as possible and remove the rags very darefullly making dead sure nothing falls down into the pan.

Use a vacuum/shop vac to clean the rest up very very carefullly since even a vacuum will cause debrise to fly about and possibly fall into the engine.

*I THINK* the metal things are the tabs on the head gasket. There located where the head meets the block on the ends only on both sides? Then these metal tabs help hold the cork end gaskets in place.

IF you want to use end gaskets, just make sure they lay in nicely and do not squirm around when you put the intake on and tighten it up. Lay down a generous amount of sealent at the outter edge in the corners so oil dosen't spit out when runing the engine down the Hwy. at speed.

OH yea, now is a great time for a cam!

A lot of guys on here don't seem to use the cork ends, but they have worked fine for my duster and my friend's dart.....

Don't worry about the carbon build up... On the two buildups I have been apart of, those have been clogged, then blocked with the new gasket.....

Funny, I did the same thing last night.

The drivers side cross over port was also blocked and built up around it.
I'm not going to mess with it since the performer manifold doesn't use it anyway.

IMG_0364Large.jpg

IMG_0365Large.jpg

IMG_0366copy.jpg

Funny, I did the same thing last night.

The drivers side cross over port was also blocked and built up around it.
I'm not going to mess with it since the performer manifold doesn't use it anyway.

It looks like the turbo sucked it up and ate it! lol

I've been watching your other thread... can't wait to see the out come.

-
Back