Intake too tall, air cleaner hits hood

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I was actually worried about the possibility of a clearance issue when I picked out my intake. Sure enough, the carb sits up pretty darn high. Looks like I'm going to have to come up with some sort of solution; drop base air cleaner?

I want to run a factory air cleaner, I'm wondering if I could make it work with a different base (drop base) to make it clear?

What have you guys come up with? I don't want to cut the hood, cuz I'm going to run the dual scoops. The intake is a Weiand Action Plus. I could change it out, but I really want to keep it.

Are there any methods of altering a factory air cleaner to make it sit lower? Looks like I'll need 1- 1 1/2" drop. If I alter the base with some fabricating, will it mess up the air flow?

Your going to want to find a drop base air filter of a turbo elbow and use a filter at that end.

I was actually worried about the possibility of a clearance issue when I picked out my intake. Sure enough, the carb sits up pretty darn high. Looks like I'm going to have to come up with some sort of solution; drop base air cleaner?

I want to run a factory air cleaner, I'm wondering if I could make it work with a different base (drop base) to make it clear?

What have you guys come up with? I don't want to cut the hood, cuz I'm going to run the dual scoops. The intake is a Weiand Action Plus. I could change it out, but I really want to keep it.

Are there any methods of altering a factory air cleaner to make it sit lower? Looks like I'll need 1- 1 1/2" drop. If I alter the base with some fabricating, will it mess up the air flow?

That intake can't be taller than the RPM Air Gap I run on my Duster and that fits under my stock hood. I just had to make sure to run one thin paper carb gasket; I added a thin aluminum heat shield to keep my Carter AFB from boiling gas but it still fits fine. What kind of factory air cleaner do you have? The "closed" dual-snorkel ones don't seem like they could be modified easily to drop more.

An easy way to check hood clearance is to put a blob of clay on the front edge (highest point) of the air cleaner and slowly close the hood down. When you lift the hood back up the clay will be smooshed down and will show you exactly how much clearance there is.

It should fit fine - I'd make sure you have the right engine & transmission mounts in there and that it's settled down right in the saddles.

I think there are differences between every car honestly. I was told I'll have all sorts of room with my performer rpm intake and I ended up having to go to a drop base. I have even seen guys with my same exact combo running with a stock hood and no drop base. It doesn't make since but it happens.

I may have spoken too soon about clearance problem. I set an aftermarket 14" air cleaner ***'y on the carb and the hood lightly touches it. I assumed that this larger diameter air cleaner would make the problem worse, but now I'm thinking that it may sit lower than the aftermarket one I had. (The factory one is not in my possession yet)) so I guess I'll know soon enough. Thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 286
I've worked on a car with that Weiand on two different LA V8s under a flat Scamp hood with an Edelbrock and then a Holley carb on it. A drop base aftermarket will be fine, not sure on the factory deal.

-
Back