Interchangability of 8.25 parts???

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
OK, I know the 8.25 axle has been around since the dawn of time (well, early 70's...close enough). I am also aware they changed internals after '96. I have read an article or two about taking post '96 axles (which are straight) and cutting/resplining/drilling them for our old type A-body housings & bolt patterns.

My question is: Are the actual center sections interchangeable?? I have a friend who offered me a brand new late model suregrip. My idea is to use it in my housing, and have Moser cut me 29 spline straight axles to fit.

I figure this, along with my TSM brake setup, welded and reinforced axle tubes, studed carrier caps and LPW girdle cover would make this about as bulletproof of an 8.25 as you can get on a budget.

Any ideas??

i think its a great idea.

LoL

pictures?

i think you cant interchange 95 and up with 95 and down, but i might be wrong. why not just get a 96 up rear and do a swap? rebuilt to the T!T$.. slow and steady wins the race.. if it takes you a few months to build it with buying pieces everyonce and a while atleast once your done you would have built a sweet rear end. then all you need is new u bolts and some man-time to change it.

but i want to hear what a more experienced person has to say.

Cerwin

Well, I suppose I could, but no one is giving me a whole rear end...LOL.

Truthfully, a fully dakota rar end would not be cheap. Plus with the cost of cutting down /redilling the axles AND housing, plus setting up disc brakes on it, I think just modding what I have would be more cost effective, and about as strong.

I'm still doing my research, but I'll let you know.:salute:

I emailed Drivetrain Specialties about it (as recommended by a few at DodgeTalk). They confirmed my thoughts. The only difference is in the spline pattern.

-
Back