Interchangeable chassis parts

-

l6hmus

Reaction score
Hi,

Couldn't think of a better title but my question is:
Can some one point out what frame, floor, k frame and suspention parts can be used between different year A bodies ?

I myself have a 69 2dr Valiant and I'am looking for a donor to get better frame rails, crossmember and inner fenders.
Currently there is an 64 2dr offered as parts car near me.
How much can I used metal from there ?

Kristjan.

2 door, 4 door all this stuff is the same except floor pan length and rocker length based on wheelbase. 67-73 all framerails are the same. Trunk pan is the same 67-76 however filler neck hole in floor changed size and shape in 1970. Transition pan between trunk and main floor fits 67-76. Main floor pan 2 different lengths based on wheelbase, I think 108" and 110" You can use the longer dart pan in the shorter wheelbase cars which if memory serves me correct are 67-69 barracuda, duster, demon, dart sport, and trim it off at the back, cant go the other direction easily though. Easier to cut off than to add. Torsion bar crossmember is the same from 67-72. It changes in 1973 for a different trans mount, not sure if the later trans mount will fit the earlier crossmember.

If your car is a longer wheelbase car which I think a 69 value may be, then find a 67-72 dart more door and all of what I mentioned will work. Theres a guy on Fabo selling a 70 more door dart shell in western Colorado with preemo floors in it. Super solid. I think he wants $500 for it. It has a lot of extra parts you can prob remove and sell and get some of your money back.

Thank you for your answere. As I understand then I can use a donor from 67 to 73. Why I am asking about 64 is because I do not live in the States and I don't have lot of cars to choose from.
Shipping a 500 dollar car to Europe can cost around 1500 dollars otherwise I would not think twice and buy the one you wrote about.

Thank you for your answere. As I understand then I can use a donor from 67 to 73. Why I am asking about 64 is because I do not live in the States and I don't have lot of cars to choose from.
Shipping a 500 dollar car to Europe can cost around 1500 dollars otherwise I would not think twice and buy the one you wrote about.
Depends on what you would like to do with your car. Problem areas on front end:

1. 68-72 no problems swapping components around. In sure you have correct proportioning valve if you install KH disk brakes. There are some anomalies on using a '67 steering system on anything but a '67.
2. 73-76 The K-member swaps over to your car. You will need to use the steering components, UCA, and spindles that come with the donor car. The upper control arms use a larger, stronger ball joint than did the earlier cars. The pittman and idler arms attach to the crosslink differently on the post '73 cars. This conversion will allow freer swapping of steering boxes to include the "cop car" steering box.
3. 73-76 There are two variants to be alert for. Cars with disk brakes and those that do not. The drum brake cars use the 4" bolt pattern, disk brake cars use the 4½" bolt pattern. If you choose to install a '73 &> K-frame from a '73 &> disk brake car, remember to carry 2 mounted spare tires (one with a 4" bolt pattern, the other with a 4½) to insure you can continue after flat while away from home.
4. Anti-roll or sway bars do not interchange between the 65-72 and the 73-76 model years. There is no provision for mounting a earlier bar on a later car. On the 73-76 cars, the bar went through the K-frame. This makes the legs on the bar too short to reach if mount is attempted on your 69.

Problem areas with the rear end.
1. While the engine bay was widened in the '67 model year to allow the A-body to accept larger engines, nothing of this nature with the rear end. Chrysler installed 3 different differentials on the A-body to deal with increasing vehicle weight and power levels. The gold standard among Mopar cogniscenti is the 8.75" rear end. It features a removable center section that allows for fast changes to the rear end gearing. The "snout" for this rear end comes in three pinion lengths.
2. Due to the different pinion lengths of each of the 8.75" as well as 7¼" and 8¼" center sections drive shaft length can be almost any where. The 7¼' comes with a lighter U-joint than the others do. Also Valiants, Dart wagons, and Demons/Dart Sports run on a 108" wheel base where as the others roll on the Dart's 111" platform. Scamps and 4-door Valiants from 73-76 also use the Dart platform.
3. The 7¼" rear end has smaller axle tubes than the others. Therefore, if installing a larger axle one must add shock plates and axle clips to the purchase. Since the 7¼ was used on disk brake equipped A-bodies, one should be considered necessary if a 73 &> K-frame swap is contemplated.
4. Know what you are getting. Most people I know that enjoy driving put more power through the drive train. This means there is more demand for the stronger rear ends than Chrysler made. Moser makes a rear end of the A-body. On the other side of the food chain, there are a few delightful morsels that are a direct fit. Someone may have "improved" things, just be sure you know what you have.
5. A 62-66 rear end will fit in your 69 just fine. In fact the 8.75" D/Dart would be perfect. You would be extremely full of good luck if you found one that the present owner would be willing to sell.

Transmission problem areas.
1. At some point Chrysler went to a Cardan-style joint from a Hookes- style (constant velocity). I think it happened with the MY '65 on the B-body.
2. While sticking on a Mopar pushbuton drive selector on your '69 from a '64 & < appears to be a neat idea, however, it requires a different transmission mount at the transmission case than the linkage provision on the '65 & > has.

Last edited:
I am manly interested in sub frames and floors (as they were done poorly when I fixed it up last time). Rear end, front end, engine, trans all that is sorted and upgraded to my needs.

-
Back