Interesting 1965 Formula S Info.

-

dynodonn

Reaction score
Popular Science - Nov 1964 - Page 77 - Google Books Result
https://books.google.com/books?id=MyYDAAAAMBAJ
Vol. 185, No. 5 - ‎Magazine
Drag meet for two: Petty gets set for SS /4-mile run in Barracuda while the Mustang warms up. ... I drove two cars: a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S, and a Ford Mustang ... The Barracuda has no tach and the speedometer swung way off the dial.

From an article in Popular Science-Richard Petty compares a 1965 Formula S Barracuda to a similar performance 1965 Mustang. The early-build Formula S did not have the in-dash tach or the 150 MPH speedometer. Interesting.

My 1965 Formula S has neither a tach nor a 150 MPH speedo. Interesting indeed!

My 65 Formula S does have the tach in the dash. I thought all of the Formula S models came with one.

My 65 Formula S does have the tach in the dash. I thought all of the Formula S models came with one.

I find that strange also as all of the ones I have seen had a tach and it is listed as part of the S package by Chrysler.

Jim Lusk:

I wasn't aware that 150 MPH speedos weren't used until 1966. Thanks for the info. Based on the date of the article I assume this was an early-build date vehicle. My point is simply that these cars did exist without a tach.

What was the deal
64 110
65 120
66 150

That sound right? I can't remember 65 I put a 66 Dash in my 65. Either way speed unattainable Blahahaha

I thought that it was 120 MPH speedo standard and 150 MPH optional....

The 150 wasn't really optional in 1966. It came on cars with a Commando 273 and was not available (from everything that I've read over the last 35 years) with any other engine, unlike '67 where it (150 speedo) was available as a separate option.

author calls them both pretty close and surmised with the same gear ratio and engine they would be real close Heck the Barracuda gave 36 hp and 32 ft/lbs to the "K" mustang. Give him a 275/273 with that tachless "S". He did say he lined up the Hottest version of each car you could buy from a dealer for the contest, tell them the 275/273 was dealer available.

Sometimes the Press/ Magazine cars were mid-summer/pre- or first production builds. The magazine would come out several months after the test drive. The public release date was mid- to late September. The first S cars weren't equipped with the sway bars (early Fall). First Public release was a big deal back then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 244
author calls them both pretty close and surmised with the same gear ratio and engine they would be real close Heck the Barracuda gave 36 hp and 32 ft/lbs to the "K" mustang. Give him a 275/273 with that tachless "S". He did say he lined up the Hottest version of each car you could buy from a dealer for the contest, tell them the 275/273 was dealer available.

The article was from early 65 and the 273-235 hp was the hottest engine you could get in a Barracuda.

Chrysler released the 273-275 hp engine that went into the D/Dart in 1966 to compete against the hipo 289 Mustangs. The first D/Dart was built and delivered on April 29, 1966. The D/Dart engine parts were available over the counter. That's the only way you could get a 275 hp Barracuda.

my mostly original 2 owner 69 340 formula "S" has only the 120mph speedo and no tach

my mostly original 2 owner 69 340 formula "S" has only the 120mph speedo and no tach

Like I stated, 1966 was the only year that every Formula S had a 150 speedo (as well as every 273-4 Barracuda). The tach was part of the Formula S package in 1965 and I believe 1966.

Too bad they didn't put the 275 horse in a Barracuda.

I stand corrected on the 275/273. The K code Mustang was a pretty good runner. back in the day, I almost bought a 65 Comet Caliente that someone put an "A" code 271 hp 289 (K in a Mustang) into but retained the automatic. It was pretty rough so I passed, I think the seats were not even bolted down.

Too bad they didn't put the 275 horse in a Barracuda.

Per Ted Spehar and Ralph Costa, the 273-275 hp engine would have done better in the Barracuda due to the added weight over the rear tires. They also had experience with the 65 Barracuda that they campaigned successfully in 65. But back then, each division had it's own racing program. The Dodge division needed/wanted a race car and the Dart G/T was chosen. Because of their 273 experience, Ted and Ralph were chosen to campaign the car.

-
Back