Interesting DeSoto Hemi facts....

-

whitepunkonnitro

Reaction score
I was just out in the shop playing around with a DeSoto Hemi I plan on installing in a 68 Cuda notch, and discovered some interesting stuff.
The block is dimension-ally identical to an LA.
The LA timing cover is NEARLY a bolt on...Early Hemi Bill can give details.
The Rear Main Cap has the identical profile of a 273-340 piece
The LA oil pan is nearly a bolt on. The four rear most bolt holes actually line up, and the rest of the LA bolt pattern can be drilled into the pan rail with no issues.
The motor mount ears are the same size/shape/location.

I'm in the early stages of this right now...I'm sure there's more to discover. BUT, it's looking more and more like the DeSoto is a natural transplant into an A body.

What size Hemi?

I have a 1953 desoto hemi i was trying to sale, now i think i'll keep it.

The block I'm working with is a 276, but I will most likely end up building a 330. The more I learn about the DeSoto, the more I like it!

As a teen(mid 60's) I had a buddy with a 52 Desoto with the 276(I think) with 2 2 barrels on it.Car was pretty quick for it's time.A lot of SS Chevy's were left scratching their heads.

Local guy here has a 330 that he pulled out of a 56 Desoto years ago. It's been sitting in his garage forever. Looks to be complete from carb to oil pan and has the accessories with it. He wanted $1500 for it last I knew.

Buy my 331 and you're over 3/4 there.

Local guy here has a 330 that he pulled out of a 56 Desoto years ago. It's been sitting in his garage forever. Looks to be complete from carb to oil pan and has the accessories with it. He wanted $1500 for it last I knew.

I'm seeing complete core motors going for half that and less! The Desoto is a freakin steal as far as Early Hemi's go.

Buy my 331 and you're over 3/4 there.

That's a good deal on a sweet motor!...but, this mission is about exploring the possibilities of the Desoto. I'm thinking this can be the cheapest, easiest Hemi A Body combination possible...and I also think it can be made to run right alongside the 5.7 with a lot less fabrication and voodoo. Time will tell.

Let me toss this out there:

The Desoto Firepower 276 V8 (model S16) had crankpins of only 2.06" in diameter.

Remember how even the Dodge Red Ram V8 of this same period, which had a known propensity to throw rods due to rod bearing wear, had 2.25" crankpins? Allpar.com says of the Red Ram:

"The weakest part of the V8 engine was (at least in early years) the crankshaft. Even though the cranks are forgings, they are prone to breakage. Mine broke between the number four main bearing journal and the number seven and eight connecting rod journal. I know of at least seven other 1955 Dodge owners who have experienced similar problems. My car, however, gave me a warning of impending trouble with low oil pressure. There were no "funny" noises until it cut loose, and then there were plenty of new audio sensations. The crank looks structurally sound; I believe that the trouble is in the Dodge bearing materials. A good aftermarket bearing should be used during a rebuild. The cranks can be welded back together and made into interesting lamps."
Original is at Polyspherical head engines http://www.allpar.com/mopar/poly.html#ixzz2bDp8DXiM

The 276 Firepower might be an a fortiori situation!

The Desoto Firepower 330 V8 (model S23) had 2.5" rod journals, while an LA 318 has 2.125" journals, all substantially larger than the Firepower 276.

The first generation Dodge did have trouble with the crankshafts breaking, but I've never heard of such issues with the DeSoto. When I first decided to look into a Desoto, my motivation was the exploits of Gene Adams and his 291 based Jr. Fueler, which was the first normally aspirated drag car over 200 back in 1970. To the best of my knowledge, everything in the bottom end of that engine (exception of pistons) was production Desoto parts.
I'm using the 276 for fitting and mock-up, but the final product will either be a 330, or I may turn down a 330 crank and build a 313 out of the 276.

-
Back