Interior body paint questions

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Where exactly in the interior body do you paint or leave primer? Should it be black primer or grey? What did mopar do?

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

IMHO

Unless you are doing a Concourse restoration I would be sure to cover everything with primer and topcoat.

My dart doesn't have any paint or primer under the dash so it is just surface rust from the factory.

As for color, the visable parts on mine are 80% gloss black, (or something like that) and body color for the rest.

My recollection is they dipped the cars to just about the top of the doors in a primer tank. Who cares about the inside of the roof or A pillers or top of the quarters (designed obsolescents)

If I had my way I would submurge the entire body in a tank and rotate it 360 deg a few times to get every surface inside and out coated with rust inhibitor / primer. And drill holes on sealed panels so it can get in there too.

@Dana67Dart sweet! Everything is already primered so now I just need to get some paint and paint it all.

Need to decide on final color or figure out what my engine bay color is. Then I’ll get some spray cans from that house of Kolors place in Joplin.

@Dana67Dart sweet! Everything is already primered so now I just need to get some paint and paint it all.

Need to decide on final color or figure out what my engine bay color is. Then I’ll get some spray cans from that house of Kolors place in Joplin.

Doing a whole car with spray cans is asking for trouble. I've done some bumpers for late model cars and that was pushing the stamina of my fingers. These were cans with more paint in them than consumer spray bombs, made for touching up car panels and the like. It's lasted almost 10 years and with some 2k clear over it, it's done better than the factory paint too. But the thought of doing a dart with them makes my fingers cramp ip just thinking about it.

Get a spray gun and start with some recommended settings. They're not hard to run. Cleaning them is a bigger pain than anything, and that's not a hard task either. I've sprayed a few cars with smaller 30g compressors (cheap craftsman unit). I had to drag my feet a bit to let the compressor catch up here and there, but it came out decent.

Oh and no matter what, get some respirators. Breathing paint fumes almost killed me in college.

Doing a whole car with spray cans is asking for trouble. I've done some bumpers for late model cars and that was pushing the stamina of my fingers. These were cans with more paint in them than consumer spray bombs, made for touching up car panels and the like. It's lasted almost 10 years and with some 2k clear over it, it's done better than the factory paint too. But the thought of doing a dart with them makes my fingers cramp ip just thinking about it.

Get a spray gun and start with some recommended settings. They're not hard to run. Cleaning them is a bigger pain than anything, and that's not a hard task either. I've sprayed a few cars with smaller 30g compressors (cheap craftsman unit). I had to drag my feet a bit to let the compressor catch up here and there, but it came out decent.

Oh and no matter what, get some respirators. Breathing paint fumes almost killed me in college.

I’m not doing the outside of the car. Just want to start doing stuff inside the car but can’t until it has something laid down inside if it needs it.

The guy that I’m buying a bunch of parts from, off BrianT’s wrecked dart, is a painter by trade. He was supposed to come down 2x now to bring me the parts and give me a quote on painting my entire car. There is also another painter about 1hr from me that was recommended in the local mopar club, I was going to take it by his shop and get a quote as well.

Hopefully by the end of the summer it will go off to body work and paint jail for a couple of months.

@Dusty2

What do you disagree about my comment?

Just disagreeing does not help anyone, explain what is wrong with what I said so we all can learn.

If all of the interior stuff is already primed, and it appears to be, that's a good thing. In my experience, the dash frames never got primed and were painted with suede lacquer paint that was whatever color the interior was supposed to be. Some dash frames were black, regardless of the interior color.

If you can paint well with spray bomb cans, you will be able to paint even better with a spray gun. You should try it on the interior parts. I've got faith in you Doc.....you can do it! Just watch some You Tube videos by Paint Society and Gunman, and you can learn TONS of stuff. Like Brian from Paint Society always says, "Don't overthink it. It's just paint!"

:thumbsup:

If all of the interior stuff is already primed, and it appears to be, that's a good thing. In my experience, the dash frames never got primed and were painted with suede lacquer paint that was whatever color the interior was supposed to be. Some dash frames were black, regardless of the interior color.

If you can paint well with spray bomb cans, you will be able to paint even better with a spray gun. You should try it on the interior parts. I've got faith in you Doc.....you can do it! Just watch some You Tube videos by Paint Society and Gunman, and you can learn TONS of stuff. Like Brian from Paint Society always says, "Don't overthink it. It's just paint!"

:thumbsup:

I don’t have space to paint my own cars. Literally this is my space for the car currently. I have to pull the purple dart out every time to work on parts for the copper car.

I definitely would give painting a try if I had a shop.

70751477741__B5195210-569C-4CDD-86DF-1881B6EB43F7.jpeg

IMG_3375.jpeg

IMG_3379.jpeg

-
Back