interior paint

-

0ld school

Reaction score
i'm in the middle of restoring my 68 formula s fastback. question is, i want to paint the dash and all the metal trim. the color is maroon. is there a special paint for the interior? do i use the same as the body? i noticed the gloss is not as shinny on the interior, how do i achive the propper gloss? thanks guys.....

Using a smart phone limits what I can show you but look up the paint for the body online and you can get an interior color paint code from that. Any good local paint company can mix from that code. After midnight I will be off work and in front of a computer and will send or post the info u need. In the mean time some of the other members may help u

Here is the interior paint codes. Gloss, and low gloss and flat. Paint code is on left. Aztec Maroon is what i am thinking. Any auto paint shop should be able to cross these paint codes and mix these colors for you.

Attachments

• 1968 interior paint codes.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 491
What is on the dash house was a suede finish from the factory. easy way to reproduce that is to use SEM dye same as you would use on vinyl and plastic just dry spray the final coat.
Myself and others have used a high gloss enamel on the door tops and bottoms only to find its wrong. Every little smudge shows. :(
I have to add that the door tops is not a good place for spray can paint unless you buy a whole case of cans. There needs to be a thick layer of good paint there or you'll wear through it. Hope this helps

p.s. I have a few original maroon 68 interior parts here.

If you know the name of the shade of maroon your interior was, go to totallyauto.com, they sell factory color interior paint in a spray bomb.. I bought several cans of their B7 blue to do the interior of my Dart.. and it was really good stuff... it was expensive (as far as rattle cans go) but they claim the colors are accurate, and with the experience I had with their paint I have no complaints...

btw, the website I posted isnt correct... its close though lol.. when I get home I will look it up for ya and give you the correct one.

Speedracer, I'm looking for B7 as well. Do you have any pics of the pieces you painted?

It comes down to flattening additive. The interior maroon has 2 main shades- gloss (for doors and most of the interior trim) and flat (for dash, interior window trim, and cargo sides). Both use the same formula (which is really the same Maroon as the exterior code). Just experiment with the flatting additive. For a fastback, there is a third color- the rear trim is slightly darker than the door trim, but you wouldn't know the difference once painted unless someone is doing a point car. I did all the my interior gloss with the maroon, then asked my paint store to mix me up a smaller amount and add flatting additive for the steering column, dash, and side windshield trim. A mix-up of a semi-gloss can be used on the the plastic kick panels to make them look more "plastic" but that is up to you. Take a look at my before and after. Not much difference!
Before:
frontseat1.jpg

AFTER:
interior2.jpg

interior1.jpg

Oh, I had them mix up the vinyl die in the same marroon formula for my dash pad and my steering wheel. They turned out great, however, I should have added a slight bit more of flattening additive to the dash pad- now it looks like I have it armor-all'ed.

Speedracer, I'm looking for B7 as well. Do you have any pics of the pieces you painted?

if you check out my build thread (the link after my signiture) I show a pic of the dash, out of the car and painted... I cant remember what page of my build thread that pics on now LOL .. but its in there..

if you check out my build thread (the link after my signiture) I show a pic of the dash, out of the car and painted... I cant remember what page of my build thread that pics on now LOL .. but its in there..

Thanks man, I just checked it out and it looks good! The metal on my inner doors was painted at some point and it's basically B7 but it sort of has a purplish tint to it when the sun hits it just right. I'm guessing someone just mixed the color by hand. Does your's have a faint purple tint to it when the sun hits it just right?

Thanks man, I just checked it out and it looks good! The metal on my inner doors was painted at some point and it's basically B7 but it sort of has a purplish tint to it when the sun hits it just right. I'm guessing someone just mixed the color by hand. Does your's have a faint purple tint to it when the sun hits it just right?

Not that I am aware of... but I intend to have it out in the sun this weekend, so I will check.. I painted the dash, and the insides of the doors, as well as the back pieces and any of the trip that was metal.. It also seems to work ok on plastic (did the top of the steering column as well as my kick panels as they were in BAD shape color wise.. it will not work on vinyl though (like the dash pad) ...

-
Back