Internal Conflict! To change or not to change.

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
I am having a debate inside of myself...

My 1965 Dodge Dart GT is all original, factory paint, original seats, everything. It's in decent shape for how old it is, but the paint is gonna need to be replaced (if for no other reason then the fact that there is gonna be some sanding and body work done in the cars near future) and the seats are good for how old they are, but they need to be reupholstered for sure. So here is the conflict.

Do I keep it numbers matching? Or do I paint it a color that I like more? It's so hard to decide. I like the fact that it's all factory and I like the idea that everything matches up, but it's not really a color that I'm all that crazy about. I mean I like it, I just like other colors more.

What does fabo think?

I think color changes cost a lot more money. In fact you could probably buy a another car painted the color you want for less than a paint job cost here in California.

I'm starting to like the orignial patina look more and more on these old original paint cars.

It's your car,you have to look at it everyday,if someone wants it original tell em to put up the bucks.

I don't think numbers matching on a 65 is gonna get you any more money then non matching, besides the paint could always be taken back to the original color. It's not like trying to find the right motor or trans, which in 65 had no actual numbers to match other then casting dates.

I totally changed my 65 Valiant Signet ( same as your dart GT). I altered, the dash, the interior seats, ran all new wiring, changed the motor, rims, rear end and Transmission, upgraded the brakes installed subframe connectors and added three point seat belts. ( to name a few modifications )

But I did nothing to the body lines except change the paint colour

Now I have a car body that has the original shape , but runs a lot better than the original, has some modern creature comforts and additional safety as well. And I got to enjoy making the changes and designing how I wanted it to be.

It's a personal thing.. purists may not like it.. but I LOVE it.

Be creative, ours are great cars to enjoy.

Ken

agree change, you can always put it back, and like said i do not think it is a 70 cuda hemi etc, no offense i did the same to my 64 dart.

enjoy her OK:)

Paint it the color you want it. If you're getting a quality paint job, it shouldn't cost any more to change the color than it would to paint the stock color.

I'm not against changing the color. Unless you want to sell it later down the road as completely original. What color were you thinking? Yep it is more work to do a complete color change not including the interior.

If you stay somewhere in the blue tones at least you could try to keep as much as the interior the same as you can.

I was thinking of either painting it black or gunmetal, or doing a two tone paint scheme. I haven't decided yet. I mean if you guys are saying that numbers matching isn't going to bring anymore money in later down the road anyway, then I'll probably end up changing it. I mean I like the original paint, I just think I'd be even happier with a different color, and I plan to have this car for a long time. Plus the seats needs to be reupholstered anyway, so who knows I might have to change the interior color anyway.

The problem with a paint color change is that you have to paint the door jams, under the hood, the trunk, etc...to make it look right. I would concentrate on getting the car running the way you like it, maybe do some interior stuff, suspension stuff then see how the budget goes. Also you would be amazed how a nice set of wheels will change the look of any car.
Nice Dart.

I have the same problem with mine. A part of me says keep it all original. Most everything I have done to it so far I have kept original, but I can't stand the original color so black is my first choice with burnt orange as a second choice. Everyone is correct, paint it what ever color makes you happy. toolmanmike

Your choice it's your car do what you like, i've got the same problem with my cuda orig. color was gold with a gold interior i don't like gold so i will paint it with my choice of a color which hasn't been decided yet.

Cory, what color is your Dart? Baby blue or white? Here's a few examples.

I am a fan of factory colors (they don't have to be what the car was origianlly). I also restify my cars. Our cars are at the bottom of the Mopar food chain which is why we can still afford to buy them.

Very few models have any potential value. If it is a 235 hp 4 speed car I still would pull the engine and put it aside and build a much more powerful 360 to 408 and really enjoy the car. You always have the original engine that can go with the car if you sell it.

But these are just my thoughts. I have two 63 darts, one has a solid lifter 360 and is almost ready to be my daily driver, and the other car is getting a stroker big block.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mike

my dart is the baby blue, just like the 3rd one you posted in all those pictures.

I plan on doing some minor engine upgrades in the near future, just from extra money from work and stuff, but i'm getting a financial aid check in january, and part of that's going to go towards new paint and the interior.

Yeah that's my concern is that it'd be cheaper just to freshen up the current paint because I wouldn't really worry too much about door jams, engine compartment, trunk, etc. I'll have to go to a couple paint places nearby that I know of, see what I'll be paying for the whole package.

Can any of you guys tell me what to expect to get the whole package? Trunk, engine compartment, door jams, all that stuff?

Most paint jobs in my area are 5-$10,000 depending on how far you want to go. I had a baby blue 73 Challenger with a black vinyl top, black strobe stripes, and Keystone Classics. It was sharp and I have never seen one like it since.

The purist position is that it is only original once. You have the advantage of having a complete car. Legendary has the upholstery and door panels. New seat covers, door gaskets, window channel, and a re-paint in the original hue will make the car seem like new. That being stated, az426hemi has hit the nail on the head in terms of future values. The best value I would expect from a '65 would be a 4-speed, factory air, 4-barrel, with disk brakes.

If you're starting with a car you're not pleased with, do what you want within your means to change the situation. If you do take trim off the car, keep it and the fasteners together and labelled. That way you can either go back or sell it to someone who has a less then complete car and is attempting a full restoration. Ultimately it's your car, your decision, your money, and your time. Do what's best for you. The car doesn't care.

Yeah my 65 is just the 2 bbl 273, heater only, drum brakes lol. I guess hearing from all of you that changing the color isn't going to make a difference as far future value is concerned.

I guess the other thing is that changing the interior color would be cool, but everything inside the car is in outstanding shape other than the seats. If I want the interior to look nice, I just have to reupholster the seats and it'll be fine. If I change the color then bam, I'm gonna have to change the door panels, carpet, headliner, etc. What a stress haha.

Paint it the color you want it. If you're getting a quality paint job, it shouldn't cost any more to change the color than it would to paint the stock color.

For the most part a color change does cost more. In the least it's much more work, depending on quality. Unless you're going to Maaco...

Yeah my 65 is just the 2 bbl 273, heater only, drum brakes lol. I guess hearing from all of you that changing the color isn't going to make a difference as far future value is concerned.

I guess the other thing is that changing the interior color would be cool, but everything inside the car is in outstanding shape other than the seats. If I want the interior to look nice, I just have to reupholster the seats and it'll be fine. If I change the color then bam, I'm gonna have to change the door panels, carpet, headliner, etc. What a stress haha.

Value all depends on who's buying the car... I've seen price differences of tens of thousands between all original/#'s matching and restored/restomod
Show Car/Daily Driver/ Survivor All these things factor in...

Of course the more money you put in the more you would expect to get out. Maybe you find a buyer who wants tons of mods on a classic mopar but can't do it themselves... They'll pay more

Then again, all original in good shape is gettin' pretty hard to find

If you're going to keep the car or if it's your DD then do whatever makes you happy to it... Gotta drive what you love, and love what you drive!

My 67 Formula is silver from the factory.I like silver but 50% of the cars on the road are silver.So I am painting mine a different color.

Jim

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Earl Scheib anyone? Lol

I think color changes cost a lot more money. In fact you could probably buy a another car painted the color you want for less than a paint job cost here in California.

I'm starting to like the orignial patina look more and more on these old original paint cars.

Not if you paint it yourself.... MoneySaver!

-
Back