International Scout.......

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
Any experts here??? My 14 year old son discovered this Scout in the woods by my house and we both thought it was pretty cool.. May just go hit the owner up.. From my internet research it seems to be a 73?????

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 258
Couldn't tell you on the year, but snag that puppy if you can.

I have always wanted one with a smallblock in it.

Well, if it's an automatic it could have a 727 in it!

They are prone to some rust issues and IHC engines back in those days are stout engines.

those truck versions are fairly rare, and nothingbutdarts is right, there is about a 75% chance it has a 727 and dodge transfercase in it

I just glanced in the window (didn't want to get caught trespassing ) and I think it was standard but it may have been the transfer case shifter... Inside looked very good. Looked like somebody drove it there and parked it....

They are the back stage ones of the off roading world. Personally, I think they are brilliant! They move themselves over the ground very well and if you have the 304 under the hood you are golden! Looks like a Scout II

Could have an AMC six, could have a big IH industrial V8 (probably a 304, if so, but could be a 345 or a 392). Could even have a 152ci or 196ci 4-banger! (Half of a 304 and 392, respectively.)

I almost bought one with a 4 in it 25 years ago. So you guys just find cars in the middle of the woods?

Great find ! Pickup no less , they are very hard to come buy. It may have the 266 in it. Small v/8 but lots of torque .

I had a 79 Scout with the 345 in it. Talk about a gas hog needless to say I didn't own it very long. Took it out 4 wheelin and barried it up to it axles. My brother-in-law had to help pull me out.

I'd love an old scout. My uncle had one with the deep 4 cylinder but it was manual and a 4x4. He said he would give it to me when I turned 16. A few months before I did he gave it to some guy so he would do some work for him on his international pickup. The guy never did the work even... I was mad, the thing was super clean.

Scoop it up if it's cheap. I have a 76 model. As stated, they are prone to rust. Engines are stout though. Fairly expensive to try to restore and not a heck of a lot of value even whwn restored (sound familiar). If you decide not to snag it, let me know, I might could use it..

If you do buy it and have questions, let me know. I don't claim to be an expert but I've been tinkering with my Scout for 25+ years. Make sure to prime the engine oil before first startup, they are notorious for wiping cam bearings on dry start...

Me and my son drove my Duster to the landowner and introduced ourselves.. I showed him my Duster and explained how I wanted to find a father-son project and we where interested in the Scout.... You will NEVER guess in a million years what the 70 year old man said....."No. I'm going to fix it up one of these days." Ha ha... Geesh.. How many times can I hear those words in my life... Anyway the man was nice and was actually a car guy.. He really liked my Duster and he had pretty nice 71 4 speed Corvette and several old mid 60's Chevy trucks along with another Scout( that he said he would sell) and an old Triumph Spitfire. As we left I explained to my son how many times I had heard that since I was about 16 years old and we would keep looking for something better...:wack:

-
Back