Internet purchases

Which Method of payment do you use for internet purchases?

• Credit Card

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • Paypal

Votes: 52 60.5%
  • Check

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
My wife does the paypal thing and we do not have credit cards.
never have and hopefully never will.
Like leanna I where many hats= keeping everyone happy!
and I have seen way to many credit cards mess up peoples lives.
Whoops Treva said we had a lowes card before.:angel9:

Thanks everyone for the replies to the poll. Just to explain the reason I asked what method of payment everyone used is that in a month or so I plan on starting an online business. I know that you really need the ability to accept credit cards but with all the merchant fees and discount fees an bs charges it would be so much less expensive to just go with paypal. But I think I have decided to accept both paypal and credit cards.

Thanks Everyone!,

X

YES...from a merchant perspective, credit cards can be expensive. It's the price you pay for the customer's convenience. I work in commercial sales and have dealt with plenty of credit card customers to know that Visa/MC charges 2% & AMEX 3%. I work on razor thin margins...1-2% (IT distribution, go figure) so if a customer were to switch from a net 30 billing to credit card, I would be upside down.

Definitely protect yourself as a merchant and be sure to apply the correct markup to your product to cover your costs.

If your wholesaler charges you $10 for an item, you would need to charge $13 (just to cover AMEX) + markup and factor in your other costs associated with doing business.

But if you were to cut out credit cards from your business, then you would be severely limiting your opportunities.

XStream, please let me know what authorization company you ultimately decide to use. Customers have been hounding me to take credit cards too but, from what I've learned so far, getting it all set up looks to be a big hassle. And since I wear all the hats in this biz, my time is pretty limited as it is.

Thanks in advance!

I will Leanna. I have an appointment on the 16th to talk to a web designer about everything. It would be nice if I could get a turn-key deal with one bill but I know that ain't gonna happen.
While I am at it let me ask all of you something else, and I know that none of you know me personally and don't know what my standards are the type of person that I am but then none of my clients will either. What do you think of not adding on the shipping cost until the items are actually shipped. I had originally planned to do it that way and only charge the actual cost of shipping, not the inflated estimate that most everyone else does. Would that be acceptable to you folks or does it come across as being shady? I of course plan to state that plainly in my policies.
Keep the replies coming! They are great.

X

Ok, I see credit cards, Paypal and checks as various types of payment. What about IOUs, chickens and beads? People are just not very trusting these days. ;-)

I don't know why anyone would use Money Orders instead of Paypal. Why would make a special trip to the Post Office or 7-11 to buy a MO, wait for the snail mail to deliver it, then wait some more while some lowlife decides to stiff me, then bend over some more filling out forms and waiting again?

I specifically DO NOT patronize any eBay sellers who don't take PayPal. It's fast and easy. I've been reimbursed by PayPal for bad deals twice in the past two years. All the paperwork was online, right in my web browser. No comparison, IMHO.

What do you think of not adding on the shipping cost until the items are actually shipped. I had originally planned to do it that way and only charge the actual cost of shipping, not the inflated estimate that most everyone else does. Would that be acceptable to you folks or does it come across as being shady? I of course plan to state that plainly in my policies.
Keep the replies coming! They are great.

X

I charge my customers actual shipping costs, and they pay it both ways when they send me parts to powder coat. I do offer several choices of shipping companies (in the form of computer links on my website) so that they can compare the costs against the others, but that's as involved as I get. Most choose UPS because of the fantastic "return shipping" feature ... it's just one more click to generate a return label, and it's about $5.00 cheaper for the return trip than it is to get to me.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop on your merchant account setup X. I don't have CostCo around here (I live out in the sticks LOL) but appreciate you sharing the info. The most compelling reason for me to take credit cards is all of you Canadians who want me to work on your stuff, and the hassle of finding international money orders. I want to make things easy on ya all, but getting it all set up is just 'one more thing' to add to the To Do List. I was burned by PayPal a few years ago and have been gunshy of using them ever since.

(I live out in the sticks LOL)

Yeah, me too. Sorry you had problems with Pay-Pal. I've always had pretty good luck with them, but then I have only used them 6 or 7 times. I checked their merchant accounts out last night and they offer free shopping carts and the ability to use cred cards but then they get 2.9% of each transaction. I guess everybody wants a piece of the pie!
I have a meeting tomorrow night with a web designer and I'll let you know haow that goes when I make a decision!

Take Care,
X

I use a variety of payment options. I use Paypal when ever I can and if the Seller has an account, I also have a SPECIAL PAY PAL CREDIT CARD USED FOR PAYPAL ONLY! I also have it to where money can be debited from a SPECIAL BANK ACCOUNT SET UP FOR PAYPAL ONLY. I keep my personal Bank Account free from any internet purchases! I also send Money Orders for those without Paypal. And for buying from other merchants online such as Mancini, Hughes Engines, Sears ETC I have a SPECIAL CREDIT CARD for internet purchases only!
I NEVER SEND A CHECK EVER! Just too much information on the checks going to people that I don't know at all! Checks are soon going to be all but EXTINCT I think. Technology has all but taken over for check writing. So far I have only had one small little problem and it was caught and nipped in the BUD real quick. I oredred a part for my new engine!
I used my Credit Card! Low and behold the very next month there was a small charge onmy card I did not make nor did I authorize it.The next month the same thing! Contacted the credit card company,filled a report,they cancelled that account and issued me another credit card.They investigated the fraud,removed the purchase from my account and I have no clue as to what they did to the person that made the unauthorized charge! I will say it was a Company I bought a part from off Ebay and the charges were less than $120.00. HOW STUPID SOME PEOPLE ARE!

Thanks everyone for all the input! Leanna I think I have decided to go with Paypal. They have a virtual terminal where you can punch the cards in manually and don't have to get the hard terminal. The fee is like $30.00 a month and a 3.1 transaction fee plus 10 cent. Hopefully I'll be up and running within a month or so. Hope to see all you guys (and CudaChick there!)

X

What about IOUs, chickens and beads? ;-)

One local farmer offered to trade me a goat if I could powder coat the rims on his four wheeler he uses for hunting. Does that count??? (If it was a horse I would've considered it.)

X, thanks for the candor and for humoring my questions, and here's wishing you the absolute best of luck with your new venture. I'm sure you'll be highly successful in anything you put your mind to.

Be sure to post a link when everything's up and running so we can check it out and start clicking on that paypal shopping cart.

I usually use PayPal. I had a buyer claim someone hacked his account and tried to get his money back after he received the parts. PayPal investigated and he lost. His mistake was signing for the package. Tool, LOL

One local farmer offered to trade me a goat if I could powder coat the rims on his four wheeler he uses for hunting. Does that count??? (If it was a horse I would've considered it.)

X, thanks for the candor and for humoring my questions, and here's wishing you the absolute best of luck with your new venture. I'm sure you'll be highly successful in anything you put your mind to.

Be sure to post a link when everything's up and running so we can check it out and start clicking on that paypal shopping cart.

With the price of milk and cheese now that goat might have been a good deal. You could save on lawn maintenance too!

-
Back