Intro and tale of woe

-

6tfo

Reaction score
Hello Everybody - My name is Duff. This is the first time I've introduced myself but this site has helped me tremendously for many years. So I'd like to thank everyone for helping my brother and me put together the Duster you see in the pictures. It was his when he was in his late teens and his twenties. At some point it got a little ragged out so he quit driving but never sold it. Our parents, brothers, brothers girlfriends, cousins, uncles, friends and neighbors all let him store it at their place at one time or another since he moved to the city and parking is scarce. I was the last one on the list to get the question "Mind if I keep the Duster at your place for a while?" This was in 2003 and that's when we decided to let's get her running, make the turn signals work again, and such. Well it didn't work out that way, Today, 7 years, a zillion dollars, lost relationships, blood, sweat, and tears, we were ready to take her on a 20 mile trip over to show mom. (Dad passed away in November). We did nearly everything ourselves, everything down to bare metal, body work painting, interior, all except we bought a rebuilt 340 off of ebay. Before heading to mom's we decided a quick burn out was in order. So we got away from the houses and lit her up, it felt wonderful, until...... she started missing, the temperature climbed, and white smoke filled the air behind us and under the hood. We managed to coast her back to the driveway. We opened the hood and there appeared what looked like oil and anti freeze everywhere. Upon further investigation we found out that on this fine spring day a freeze plug had popped out of the passenger side of the block. But that didn't explain the oil??? We pulled all the plugs and did a compression check, two adjacent cylinders (3,5) are under 50. The opposite two (4,6) are 120, with the remaining 4 between 152 and 160. It looked like the oil we saw may have been coming out of the valve cover breather but we're not for sure.

Sorry for the long post but writing it kept me from banging my head against the wall. Suggestion on what I should do next with the motor are welcomed.

dufster2.jpg

dufster1.jpg

dufster3.jpg

First off I would like to congratulate you for building such a beautiful car. If you lost one freeze plug My guess is that there are probably more to go in the near future. You said you bought the engine off Ebay? Did you do any checking on the engine prior to install? It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket at the minimum. I would suggest pulling the engine and going through it a little closer. Are you sure the heads, cam, valvetrain are in good shape?

Thanks Dartman. I'm guessing we didn't run compression checks after receiving the motor. The block didn't have receipts but the head work did. The rest of the drive train is original with the 727A having been rebuilt. Rear is a 2070-742 not a sure grip. Original torque convertor, I learned after the fact we should have bumped that up a little.
Engine: 340 (1973)
- .30 over estimated compression 8.5 or 9 to 1
- Purple Cam 4120231 / 484 lift in-ex /284 advertised duration in-ex / 241 dur at 050 lift / factory rockers / 2,600-6,000 / 108 sep / 241
- Eddy 1806 65o cfm / RPM air gap manifold
- MSD 6al, MSD Coil 8207, MSD Distrib 8534

I know the freeze plug is not a big deal if you decide to just replace the one. You may get lucky and be able to replace it in the car. I have done a few that way. If you had a blown head gasket and pressure was leaking internal it could have pushed oil out the breather.

leak down test. Or pressure the radiator. I have been able to replace all the freeze plugs(except in bell housing) with engine in the car.
Radiator full of sludge? Did it over- heat?

Hard for us to tell Green1. Most of the anti-freeze ended up in the street I guess. We were adding water to check for sludge when we noticed that the water we were pouring in was pouring out of the missing freeze plug. My temp guage was reading 220 degrees when we coasted into the driveway. Normally 180.

How far, total, did you drive the car until all this happened? Sounds like you may have blown a head gasket between cylinders 3 and 5. Or worse. Plan on some engine work in the future. Real nice work on the car. Ya'll done good.

Thanks. A mile to the burn out, 1/2 mile before we saw the beginning of a problem, 3/4 mile back to the drive way coasting 100 yards.

220 probably didn't hurt. Head gasket for sure. But too much variation on the other cylinders.

Very nice looking ride and i'm proud of ya doing it yourself. Pays to lurk dont it, especially here. Welcome to FABO. Now to your problem. If 220 is all it got to you shouldn't have done any damage. Perhaps some investigation into the motor prior to installation was in order but no need to cry over spilt milk. Cant wish it back now. I bought a 68 dated 440 that was suppose to be new. I paid $2000 for it and took it directly to a shop and spent another $3800 so i know where your headed. Pull it, tranny and all. While in the process get you a new converter also. I'd start with the heads and get ya some new gaskets and go from there. Check it all while your in there. You'll be glad you did. Just for fun roll it over while on the stand and check the torque on the main caps. Just for fun. Glad to have ya on board and just ask questions if your looking for answers and i know you are.
Small Block

Thanks small block. Yup, lot's of lessons learned.

Here's a few more pics from today. We took a valve cover off to see what we could see.

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

d7.jpg

d8.jpg

d9.jpg

id replace the freeze plug and do the head gaskets and see what happens. you could also pull the motor and go through everything, but after getting a taste of having the car on the road id bet your dieing to get it back out there asap. its a real nice looking car by the way.

Welcome to FABO 6tfo!

Be proud of the work you've done so far ... she looks great! Couldn't see much of the valves but it doesn't look like there's any chocolate milk sludge showing in the radiator -- might get lucky.

Thanks for sharing your story and that beautiful ride! You'll get it figured out and be back on the burnout schedule in no time. :-D

-
Back