Iola car show

-

morleysrt

Reaction score
Anyone heading to Iola next weekend?Looking for early(66) abody interior parts if you have any and are bringing them.

I was there, and I have some early A interior stuff. What do you need? PM me...

We went to Iola, WI as we usually do for their annual swap meet (and car show) and found some pretty good deals. We missed out on a few, however I brought another Mopar home.
It's a 1968 Dodge Coronet coupe. It is the base model Coronet with few options, if any. It was definately an "advertisement car" which were simple base model vehicle with no options and the lowest possible price to get people into the dealers showrooms. The car has manual 4-wheel drum brakes, manual steering, an original manual column shift, and was a slant six car...
This car came from the New Mexico desert and is extremely clean/dry/solid and very straight so no body work (or much) is needed. Even the trunk pan is very nice. This is my first "21" coded post (coupe) car.
It was an original slant six powered vehicle with a 3-speed manual column shift transmission (3 on the tree), but now has a 1968 440 high performance (375 horsepower & 480 lbs./ft. of torque) and the matching 1968 A-883 heavy duty 4-speed manual transmission. The engine has a Holley 650 cfm dual feed 4-bbl. carburetor on top of an aluminum Offenhauser (360 degree) single 4-bbl. intake manifold. It also has headers, has been converted to electronic ignition via a brand new Mopar Performance kit (ECU, distributor, harness, ...), Accell 'Super Coil', Mallory 'Super Wires' ignition wire set, Moroso chrome valve covers (same shape as the factory pieces), and Moroso chrome 14 x 3-inch drop base air cleaner. A few other money items I noticed immediately was the mint 1968 Super Bee power buldge hood, the glass is all in great shape, and it has 15" aluminum mag (slots) wheels! Three of the four even have the correct center caps.
The fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator were all changed not that many miles ago, so that's a good too.
The car is complete and runs/drives. It fired right up and idled great. There was no smoke out the tail pipes and the engine sounds awesome.
The car was worth every penny of the $6,500.00 asking price, however it's a swap meet and I enjoy dealing. Unfortunately the car had a crowd around it constantly with a lot of people showing serious interest so I knew the seller wasn't going to come down much. I went round and round about the price, but he was extremely firm on the price and for good reason I suppose. Another buyer showed up not long afterwards and offered him $6,100.00. That buyer called his wife for "approval" and went to go get the funds so the decision was made to man up and pay the $6,100.00 as opposed to not getting the car.
It isn't perfect and needs lots of work still, however it is a rust free Dodge Coronet (same car as the Super Bee) powered by a HP 440 and a 4-speed that runs and drives with a clean/clear title that is still wearing its original sheetmetal (other than the hood). also the body numbers all matched as did the fender tag which was present and accounted for.
We were getting ready to drive the car home and Hoover offered to tow it home on his trailer for free as long as we could load up and bring the leftovers from his swap meet vendor area home. It was a done deal.
$6,100.00 bought the car and got it home, so I think we did really well.
Now we'll have to see how it performs! :drive
It is getting plates & insurance first thing Monday!

I didn't realize the hood was "popped" until after the photos were taken.They were also snapped at ~9:50pm and we were in a rush so I apologize for not being the best and having time to get a shot of under the hood or in the trunk. I'll get daylight ones probably tomorrow when I bring the car to the shop.

1968dodgecoronetrightfr.jpg

1968dodgecoronetfront.jpg

1968dodgecoronetleftfro.jpg

1968dodgecoronetrightre.jpg

1968dodgecoronetrear.jpg

1968dodgecoronetleftrea.jpg

dsc02617h.jpg

1968dodgecoronetinterio.jpg

dsc02544l.jpg

1968dodgecoronettitlebl.jpg

dsc02549htx.jpg

Decoding the fender tag didn't bring any surprises (read from left to right bottom to top):

WL = Make/Model/Price class (Dodge Coronet - low price class)
21 = Body Type (2-door coupe)

21 = Engine code (225 slant six engine with 1-bbl carburetor)

1 = Transmission code (Column shift 3-speed manual transmission)

33 = Tire code (7.35 x 14 white wall steel belted tires)

A18 = Build date (October 18th, 1967)

055701 = Order number

1-4 = Sill mouldings
2-5 = Drip rail mouldings
3-0 = Body belt mouldings
4-7 = B-pillar mouldings (coupe only)
AX-4 = 3.23:1 ring & pinion gears

TRM -
-T = B (Interior trim grade = Basic/Low grade)
-R = 4 (Interior trim style = Vinyl split bench seat)
-M = B (Interior color = Light blue)

PNT -
-P = W (Roof type/color = White)
-N = W (Body color = White)
-T = 1 (Monotone paint)

UBS -
-U = U (Upper door frame color = Light blue)
-B = (Buffed paint option for metallic paint colors only = option not availible)
-S = (Stripe options = No stripe options availible on base model Coronet)

-
Back