Iron Case/Tail 833OD Output Shaft Seal Question

-

MN1968Valiant

In College's Stranglehold
Reaction score
Okay, I need to really look into this [obviously] before I put this transmission into my car in the next month or so. As the title of this thread states, I have an iron case 833OD and I am confused about its output shaft seal. Currently, the trans looks like this:
P1010338.JPG

The splines are exposed on the tail shaft, and that doesn't seem right given that every picture of an 833 that I've seen has an external output shaft seal that slides around the slip yoke.
I ordered a seal from Passon, and the piece showed up as I expected.
P1010339.JPG

My question is if this is the right piece. Based on the first picture and the picture below, it appears that their appears to be some degree of seal provided by the existing piece that is pressed into the tailshaft housing from the rear.
P1010340.JPG

Do I press this output seal in behind the thing that is in there now? It seems like it should fit, but I don't want to go hammering something in if it's not right. What's more, I've attached two pictures to highlight two specific holes/notches in the seal. If this is to be installed in my transmission, do these holes have any importance with regard to orientation for drainage/ventilation or something?
P1010341.JPG

P1010342.JPG

Help is much appreciated on this one guys!

Pry out the old seal and press in the new one. The new one has the same seal where it is pressed into the tailshaft with the dust boot to protect it and the exposed portion of the slip yoke.

Thanks Dave. So I popped out the old seal, but before I put the new one in, does the orientation of the holes in it matter? I'm thinking I'd put it in so that the hole in the rubber seal is at 12 o' clock position?

Thanks for the quick reply, Russ. Had an interesting time getting it in, but a hole saw-ed 2 by 4 worked magic for pounding without bending the lip on the thing!

Kyle,

I have an assortment (probably 50) of outer races and inner races to various taper (Timkin) type bearings that I use just for installing certain seals. The right one will even clear the boot on the seal so you don't hit it while installing it. Best tools that never made it to the scrap pile.

Russ.

-
Back