Iron v alloy inlet manifold

-

Monaro

Reaction score
Have to remove manifold off my 340 for repairs. Outside weight and retaining heat are there many other advantages for the cost or should I repair iron one.
Cheers,
Monaro

just a nice used dual plane aluminum will cost about the same as repairing the iron one...

The aluminum intakes (depending on which one you pick) will out flow the iron intake.

I'm curious to what kind of repair you need to do? It's pretty hard to hurt a iron manifold.

No major just annoying, original owner had fitted a cast iron water pump on motor, and he had fitted the smaller outlet (under themopstat) to the manifold. I'm putting a alloy pump which has the larger outlet and the smaller one is welded/rustered solid. I have tried everything to remove and now its destroyed.

Thanks for the reply. It may be cheaper to repair as i'm not sure what manifolds and shipping cost you there. If that's your car in your avatar, your engine compartment looks great. If you decide to change, a Edelbrock non air-gap Performer RPM or LD340 if you could find one would look great painted red on that engine, and would add some performance also. Look stock and carry a big stick.....:D.

The 69 and older 273,318, 340's used the cast iron water pump and had the smaller sized water inlet and heater hose fittings on the intake and heater core . The cast iron pump lower hose exits on the opposite side Of the aluminum pump so I'm guessing your changing the radiator too?

OK car not standard (perfer performance over looks). All small blocks went to alloy pumps (over here) in 68. I have to go to alloy pump to run power steering (car originally a 6) I got spout on radiator transfered to correct side for alloy pump. Alloy manifold cost $AUS 280.00.
Cheers,
Monaro.

OK car not standard (perfer performance over looks). All small blocks went to alloy pumps (over here) in 68. I have to go to alloy pump to run power steering (car originally a 6) I got spout on radiator transfered to correct side for alloy pump. Alloy manifold cost $AUS 280.00.
Cheers,
Monaro.

probably new but not used... at least i hope not

-
Back