Is 2 core radiator enough

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
We are running a 67 318 in out 74 dart sport. The 318 has a 4 bbl carb, RV cam, headers, and I zero decked. We are using a 70/30 radiator fluid/ water mix in a two core radiator. The engine seems to be getting really hot when we feel the radiator hose. Is a two core radiator enough cooling or does a 318 need a three or four? Thanks

A 2 core, 22", aluminum radiator with 1" tubes would be fine. -- How about water, and something like Lucas Super Coolant ?

Feeling the rad hose is not how we tell if there hot or not. Hell at 160 the rad hose is hot to touch.

A 2 core, 22", aluminum radiator with 1" tubes would be fine. -- How about water, and something like Lucas Super Coolant ?

Stuff like super cooler and water wetter are band aids. If he cannot get it to run cool with coolant and water mix, something is WRONG.

It's a two core factory. I don't know the dimensions , i am not home right home right now. It it what came in the 74 dart sport, nothing special. For some reason, the temp gauge is not working , so we can't see the temperature

I don't want this to sound smartass.....but I know it is.....just know I don't mean it that way, so here goes.

So, you come on an internet forum, temp gauge not workin. You want US to tell YOU if your radiator is enough and if your engine is over heating. All over the internet.

Do you see the huge disadvantage WE have here?

Get your temp gauge working first and report back. Then we might can help. In fact, we might not even need to help. It may be "ok".

Maybe try to get the mix to 50/50. I believe the water does most of the work removing heat.

You can always use a meat thermometer in the radiator from the dollar store as a backwoods idea too

Yeah the meat thermometer is a good idea. Also, Harbor Freight sells them infra red heat guns cheap. I would not change anything yet because there may not be anything wrong.

I don't want this to sound smartass.....but I know it is.....just know I don't mean it that way, so here goes.

So, you come on an internet forum, temp gauge not workin. You want US to tell YOU if your radiator is enough and if your engine is over heating. All over the internet.

Do you see the huge disadvantage WE have here?

Get your temp gauge working first and report back. Then we might can help. In fact, we might not even need to help. It may be "ok".

No, I get it . I totally understand what you are saying. we are just worrie, since the radiator overflows even when the car is idling. It may just be because it was too full

Good. I am glad you did not take it like I did not mean it. Lots of times I come across like that and have no intention of it.

Good luck. Hopefully nothing is wrong. If that radiator is in good shape, it "should" be enough.

Too full will make it over flow, Rusty is right, fix temp gage not hard to troubleshoot, or possible by temp,oil press,amp gages, you got lots of choices, could just be the sending unit, maybe it isn't even plugged in.

-
Back