Is a 1972 6 cylinder PS pump same as a V8 pump

-

1973Kathleen

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Dart and a 1972 Demon. the dart has a 318 and the demon has a 6 cyl. My darts power steering went out and i had one off a 68 charger it looked aftermarket because it seemed 100% different and the bolt holes didn’t line up to it so i have a 72 6 cyl pump in storage and i was curious if it would be the same if i need to change the brackets or what before i try to pull it out of storage

Saginaws were used by 1969 on some models, so there's a good chance the pumps on your 1972 & '73 can interchange.
Look at the tank. If the cross section of the upper half is oval shaped instead of round, it's a Saginaw. You'll need to swap brackets. If the nipple for the fluid return points in a direction that's very different, you may need to swap the tank to the good pump. That would give you a good reason to reseal it with new gaskets and o-rings. The reseal kits are cheap.

my whole issue was the pump didn’t burn up but my pulley was lose and i could move it back and forth and it was leaking from there
Saginaws were used by 1969 on some models, so there's a good chance the pumps on your 1972 & '73 can interchange.
Look at the tank. If the cross section of the upper half is oval shaped instead of round, it's a Saginaw. You'll need to swap brackets. If the nipple for the fluid return points in a direction that's very different, you may need to swap the tank to the good pump. That would give you a good reason to reseal it with new gaskets and o-rings. The reseal kits are cheap,

my whole issue was the pump didn’t burn up but my pulley was lose and i could move it back and forth and it was leaking from there
The bushing or shaft is probably worn out. That can be fixed, but swapping is easier. :)

There are a couple of different manufacturers for pumps that year, and they made both bolt-on and press-on pulleys. You need to look at both to see if you have a match. I'm sure you will need to swap pulleys regardless, and that can be a pain with the press-on ones. Care must be taken to keep from damaging the reservoir and it's seal in the pressing process.

Thank you to all that have helped they were the same pumps only difference was the brackets and the pulley was a little further out so after switching those they worked perfectly

Saginaws had at least 2 reservoir designs. The first one here is what some people call the "Canned Ham".

605 C.JPG

800 S.jpeg

See why? The shape is also sort of like a bowling pin. The second is round with a steel neck. Both use the same pattern at where the pump itself slides into the reservoir.

605 G.JPG

The other design....

1724480301440.png

Original slant six pumps put out around 900 psi of pressure. The V8 versions put out about 1100-1200. The pumps were essentially the same, the pressure differential was made up with shims here:

Borg 80.jpg

Borg 83.jpg

Borg 85.jpg

-
Back