Is a deeper pan worth it?

-

phaelax

Reaction score
My transmission pan is leaking so I was looking for a gasket online. After seeing how cheap it was just to get a new pan and filter I'm considering doing that. Most pans I've been seeing are deep pans (typically +2 qrts). Is it worth it having the deeper pan? Only real drawback I can think of is more likely to scrape it on speed bumps.

Iirc Someone recently mentioned that newer 999 or 998 pans were an inch or maybe 2 deeper that the 60s 904 pans and the filter comes with the needed extension.

Do the research, don't just trust my memory.

My transmission pan is leaking so I was looking for a gasket online. After seeing how cheap it was just to get a new pan and filter I'm considering doing that. Most pans I've been seeing are deep pans (typically +2 qrts). Is it worth it having the deeper pan? Only real drawback I can think of is more likely to scrape it on speed bumps.
The 999 pans add an extra quart and a drain plug. Deep 904 transmission pan?

I put a deeper trans pan on EVERYTHING. (Especially if it has a deeper engine oil pan. Headers or a deep engine pan will hit long before a trans pan!)
More fluid=cooler fluid=longer better trans life.

I have a 727 not the 904. But it sounds like the answer is pretty clear cut, get the deeper one.

I have a 727 not the 904. But it sounds like the answer is pretty clear cut, get the deeper one.
They make them for the 727. I always ran a deep one. As long as you have clearance.

Now to find someone who has one in stock, I think maybe mopar stopped making theirs cause nobody seems to have one.

Yeah, and they are mighty proud of them too. I got a steel pan from A&A for a better price. Also installed a large cooler up front!
$300 for the b&m, A&A is half as much! Did yours come with bolts for the extension? Their description doesn't mention it but I think I seem them in their tiny, non-enlarging picture.

Yeah, and they are mighty proud of them too. I got a steel pan from A&A for a better price. Also installed a large cooler up front!
I slammed mine on a manhole cover a couple years ago, hard enough that it broke the front u-joint, but only made a small scrape mark in the pan. I fully expected that pan to be cracked after the impact, but amazingly it was fine.

Summit makes a cast aluminum deep pan just like the B&M but much cheaper, I've had one on my 904 since 2010.

Check A&A. They had a deep one for a 904 that I got from them earlier this year.

I think I'm going to get the A&A one. (their website is **** though). I'm gonna have to call them to order because the site won't show shipping costs until I pay and that's not happening.

I think I'm going to get the A&A one. (their website is **** though). I'm gonna have to call them to order because the site won't show shipping costs until I pay and that's not happening.
I called them. Agreed on their website. It's horrible.

Yes get the deep pan. The A&A cast aluminum one comes with a re-usable pan gasket, pan rail bolts, billet aluminum filter extension, and Dacron filter. It’s $200 currently for their pan kit. Yes it’s worth it. The thick cast aluminum also helps stiffen the case. Only thing I do with the drain plug bolt is I use silicon on the threads to prevent leaks.

-
Back