Is an 8-1/4" rearend the same for all years?

-

73Duster422

Reaction score
I was wondering if the ring and pinion from my '73 Duster 8-1/4" rear will interchange with a '86 Dodge pickup 8-1/4" rear?

They are the same aren't they?

Thanks in advance.

Never heard of any difference from one to another like the 8.75's. I'm sure there will be those that will chime in here and set us straight we hope.

Not sure if the parts swap will work, but before you take it apart the chief mechanic over here says you should measure the back lash of the ring and pinion and make sure it is the same when you put it in the next rear or you will have a gear whine.

Try Richmond Gear to get the tech info you need. They should be able to help.

You could also contact [email protected]. Cass was recommended to me by someone on FABO and he was a tremendous help in getting the right parts for the 8 3/4 in my Dart. He most likely knows about the 8 1/4 too.

Good luck!

Yea, what Grinder said.

The rear end I.D also went to 8-3/8 somewhere in time, but from what I'm told, there still the same rear end.

Beside width as a difference, theres also spring mounting pads that are wider, possible brake differences in the width of drum used, possible shock mounting differences.

The newer rears that anti lock braking systems have a slightly different ring gear that holds a slight difference for the anti lock up sensor. It's kind of like a flywheel with magnets.

-
Back