Is an automatic transmission dust cover needed?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of getting my car all ready to start and I came to the issue of what to do with the transmission dust shield. The car is a 73 dart, 360/904. I left it out currently so I could more easily put the converter bolts in but now I'm wondering If I have to put it in at all. Would it give more airflow and because of that cool better? Or will I get lots of crap in there? I can get it into place easily anyways, just wondering if its really needed.

And what is that little brace thing in the picture, it came off of the 318. Is it needed? because I cant get it onto place with my headers.

Attachments

• dust shield.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,016
Without a dust shield you will be replacing the front trans seal, as dust will collect around the damp area by the seal and eat it up. (as well as groove the hub)
The bar is a engine to trans support, and there isn't much you can do about that if the headers are in the way.
Just a slight increase in the possibility of cracking the bellhousing without it.

I would put the cover on for sure, and I was only able to get one support back in with headers.

Without a dust shield you will be replacing the front trans seal, as dust will collect around the damp area by the seal and eat it up. (as well as groove the hub)
The bar is a engine to trans support, and there isn't much you can do about that if the headers are in the way.
Just a slight increase in the possibility of cracking the bellhousing without it.

I would put the cover on for sure, and I was only able to get one support back in with headers.

I'll put the dust cover in then. At least its not hard to put in in after the trans is in.

And those braces, there was only one on my old engine, so I actually only have the one shown. So it shouldn't be too bad running no braces?

Also Isn't there a little plate that goes at the bottom of the dust cover? because I never had one of those.

I was able to get one side brace on but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)
There is a small cover that takes two 1/4 x 24 x 1/2 long bolts.

The starter has to come away from the bellhousing to get the plate in there.

Unfortunately I already put the starter in! well its not too bad to pull back a bit to slide in the dust cover. So I will have the main dust cover in place, but what about that little cover? am I okay to run without that? or should I find one somewhere?

Chrysler wasn't(and isn't) in the habit of adding things to a car that aren't needed. Those braces are there for a reason. I would use them.

The problem is that only one will fit with headers. Once my engine is mocked up, I'm going to see if the brace that doesn't fit can be modified. Maybe I can get it to fit...maybe I can't. I'll feel better with both of them on there though.

i havent used mine in 10 years.no issues,but mine is a weekend warrior.no gravel roads ect.

I had something live get stuck in the open area once, I would put on the cover. The little plate was there to drain the torque converter during service. Not as crucial, but I would hunt around for one anyway.

Are you sure that you've got the right dust cover for a 904? I've got a few laying around here and they don't have that small opening on the bottom. The one for my 727 does. They don't interchange. The top 2 pics are of a 904 cover. It's hard to see but the bottom pic does have that small cover on the bottom of the shield and it is on my 727.

View attachment IMG_0805.jpg

View attachment IMG_0808.jpg

View attachment IMG_0815.jpg

Honestly no idea if its original to the car. Its been surprising me alot lately, its not even a 904, somebody put in a 999 transmission in there. I took that cover directly off of the trans when I took it out with my old 318, so even if its not correct it does fit. I am using the same trans as before so it will fit.

Are you sure that you've got the right dust cover for a 904? I've got a few laying around here and they don't have that small opening on the bottom. The one for my 727 does. They don't interchange. The top 2 pics are of a 904 cover. It's hard to see but the bottom pic does have that small cover on the bottom of the shield and it is on my 727.

View attachment 1714732443

View attachment 1714732444

View attachment 1714732445

From what I have seen slants don't have the small plate.
My 73 318/904 does. (not sure why some do and some don't besides the drain service)

The small cover hole can be welded up if that makes it more convienient.

From the picture it looks like he has the passenger side brace, and I got that one back on without too much trouble.

From what I have seen slants don't have the small plate.
My 73 318/904 does. (not sure why some do and some don't besides the drain service)

The small cover hole can be welded up if that makes it more convienient.

From the picture it looks like he has the passenger side brace, and I got that one back on without too much trouble.

Good to know Trailbeast. I'll never get these Chrysler parts figured out 100%. There are so many variations.

Take the starter stud out of the bellhousing,, and don't even think about bending the cover,trying to get it in.. or you'll end up playing frizbee with it..

hope it helps

I always cut the starter part off the bell housing cover so you don't have to pull the starter out to get to the converter so it can be drained .. Mine doesn't have the small cover either because I just got the shield from Chrysler...Yup still available... Bill

I would be far more worried about scooping up rocks, other debri, or pieces of dead or soon to be dead animals than "dust" but yes, I'd sure run one

You can slot the upper hole, and loosen the starter and just slide it up in there

Been driving my 73 Duster since 2006 without one....

This is another FOS thread. Dust cover needed or it will leak is BS. Your Trans & Converter will stay cooler without it!

View attachment 1714732443

View attachment 1714732444

View attachment 1714732445
they went to this style of cover when the lock-up convertor came about, no more drain plug. besides, most owners never serviced the tranny untill they had an issue and by then it was to late anyways.

This is another FOS thread. Dust cover needed or it will leak is BS. Your Trans & Converter will stay cooler without it!

It is a time proven fact that it hastens seal and converter hub wear, and just because you never had a problem does not mean it's BS.
Besides the dust thing, have you ever seen a split bellhousing because a rock bounced up in there?
Or that can't happen either because it never happened to you? :D

It is a time proven fact that it hastens seal and converter hub wear, and just because you never had a problem does not mean it's BS.
Besides the dust thing, have you ever seen a split bellhousing because a rock bounced up in there?
Or that can't happen either because it never happened to you? :D

Lol. Do what you want. You guys get all caught up on stupid **** that don't matter.

I doubt what you are saying has ever happened to anyone... Or maybe only you?

-
Back