Is everyone running aftermarket axles that post low 60' times?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
I know it's the completely smart thing to get aftermarket axles. But are some of you folks slipping enough to keep from breaking axles and still get decent 60' times? Like 1.6 to 1.8? I would really like to get a decent 60' time with a streetable (not an everyday driver) tire. Example MT et street rad. Hoosier QT dot, MT Sportsman Pro.

Once you reach 11.49 the rules get much more specific. You need a roll bar, jacket, dated belts, a blow shield, SFI balancer and flywheel, etc. So you'll find wonce you get faster, you need a bunch of safety stuff. An axle's no different. If you have a rev limiter and a factory limited slip, all that will happen if you break one is a high rpm free rev. Once you have a spool you must have them. Honestly, there's very little reason not to have them now. It's not really expensive anymore an you can upgrade to big bolt if you're small bolt now which helps with wheels and tires.

I agree with Moper,i found out the hard way if you think your going to be making any decent h.p. spend the money and be safe,although it can be done i went 1.40 60's in my duster when i first put the stroker in with "stock" axles,but quickly steped up to the Mosers after snapping all the studs off the driver-side axle,car hooked that good..as for tires you can't go wrong with m/t drag radials i've been running them for 5 seasons now great results...

10.99 and faster required aftermarket axles...and if you run a spool ...aftermarket axles are mandatory

those are nhra rules...

First off I will say that aftermarket axles are a smart investment. BUT

If you are running 1.70-1.80 60ft you will not always need aftermarket axles. Those 60ft times would put you in the 12.00 -12.50 1/4 times. I run 1.72-1.75 60ft 12.40's been running that for about 5 years on slicks. Don't know what spline your axles are but mine are 26 spline, so they are small. Weight of the car,torq,4-speeds and N2O are small axle/rearend killers. Preload the convertor on the line before launch. That will take some of the shock off of the rear/axles. I know guys running lower 60ft but have bigger spline axles(28-31).

Again; Aftermarket axles are a smart investment. I thought I would say it again before all the other members jump on me for saying you don't absolutely need aftermarket axles.

Atomic, he mentions on another thread that he has a stick. I agree he could get away with stock axles, at that power level, with an auto.

But, racing ain't cheap. There are some things you should just have.

When I researched tires for my low 12's Mustang with stock suspension, I was surprised to read about guys going 1.60's 60' times with M/T ET Street radials, also on stock suspensions.
I bought a pair. First pass, I left at about 5 g's. I expected the tires to slip, at that rpm. I snapped a stock axle instantly. I gambled. It cost me $300 to get towed home, PLUS the $300 for a set of axles, bearings, oil. :eek:ops:
Next time, I will be launching at a lower rpm. :dontknow:

10.99 and faster required aftermarket axles...and if you run a spool ...aftermarket axles are mandatory

those are nhra rules...

Technicality, saw it at a National Event years back.
As soon as longer studs for the Rims are applied to "stock" Axles, they then Qualify as "Aftermarket Axles".
Stupid I know !
Dunno if they have an ACTUAL S.F.I. spec even today ?

That said,
GET THE AFTERMARKET AXLES, and be safe.

All depends on the tech guy. Most look for the initials on the hub-ends of the axles. Longer studs and open nuts I think are at 11.49 too but that might not be right. I havent seen a rule book in years. (Not that they ever really lessen any...lol)

O. I. C. :thumblef: Good job, Man you are on top of it :notworth: Maybe I need to read other post also.:book: that way I could give informed advice:-#

-
Back